Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ Click here to enter! šŸ°

BillyBass

Reaction score
image.jpg
D8AAFE86-397F-438E-9491-F2BE183A8D1B.jpeg
B8D90E99-A085-4BCE-98A2-08A705636BE7.jpeg
I saved about 40 fish from a guy who was shutting down his tank. He gave me some neon tetras, rummy nose tetras, guppies, halfbeaks, and then two species of tetras I donā€™t know the name of and the guy at the pet store also didnā€™t know what they were. Some of them also look like they may be pregnant so Iā€™d like to know what I should do

1st picture has 6 neon tetras and 3 white cloud mountain minnows.
2nd picture has 2 normal white cloud mountain minnows in the middle and a gold white cloud mountain minnow at the top.
3rd picture has a group of gold white cloud mountain minnows.

--------------------------
The fish are skinny and I'm hoping that's just lack of food before you got them. One of the neons in the 1st picture has a funny mouth, it looks a bit white on the top lip. Monitor this closely because it could be Columnaris and might need treating with anti-biotics.

All the fish are egg layers. The females scatter the eggs and the males fertilise them. Then the fish in the tank eat them.

I wouldn't worry about having egg ripe females (egg layers don't get pregnant), just let nature take its course.

B9918354-BC40-47BE-80ED-765F14D3ABA8.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
1st picture has 6 neon tetras and 3 white cloud mountain minnows.
2nd picture has 2 normal white cloud mountain minnows in the middle and a gold white cloud mountain minnow at the top.
3rd picture has a group of gold white cloud mountain minnows.

--------------------------
The fish are skinny and I'm hoping that's just lack of food before you got them. One of the neons in the 1st picture has a funny mouth, it looks a bit white on the top lip. Monitor this closely because it could be Columnaris and might need treating with anti-biotics.
Thank you so much for helping me identify those fish I thought they were tetras so thatā€™s why I couldnā€™t find out what they were. A lot of the fish looked skinny so Iā€™ve been feeding them blood worms and died brine shrimp. A couple of the tetras do have growth on their mouths so Iā€™ve been treating the whole tank with microbe-lift Artemiss. Here is a picture of some of the fish with growths I worry I may have to put some of the poor guys out of their misery.

All the fish are egg layers. The females scatter the eggs and the males fertilise them. Then the fish in the tank eat them.

I wouldn't worry about having egg ripe females (egg layers don't get pregnant), just let nature take its course.
Ok thanks I didnā€™t want to end up overpopulating my tank and risking the fishes health

I would euthanise any that can't eat, however, you can see how they go after 24 hours of medication, but if they haven't improved after 24 hours, euthanise the ones with the gross mouths

I would euthanise any that can't eat, however, you can see how they go after 24 hours of medication, but if they haven't improved after 24 hours, euthanise the ones with the gross mouths
Ok thanks for letting me know not what I wanted to have to do obviously but i donā€™t want to risk the health of my other fish or let the ones that canā€™t eat suffer. Should I still continue a 7 day treatment in the tank just to make sure no other fish are sick?

That sounds like a good idea to continue treatment. How many of the Tetras canā€™t eat? :)

That sounds like a good idea to continue treatment. How many of the Tetras canā€™t eat? :)
Ok Iā€™ll continue to treat them. Two of the tetras canā€™t eat but 3 others have growths on their face but theyā€™re small

Thats to bad!

I still Do recommend to continue treatment. :)

Run the full course of treatment for 7 days or however long it states on the packaging.
Make sure you remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will remove the medication.
Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen levels in the water.

Make sure you monitor ammonia and nitrite levels while feeding up. Looks like there may be some clamped fins in there which could indicate water quality issues. I appreciate they are being rescued but skinny is better than poison :).
As for your tetra, the eggs and fry are extremely sensitive to light, so even if the eggs didn't get eaten their numbers won't increase. Guppies are a different matter entirely but I would let nature take its course as @essjay suggests.

No. Don't euthanize the dying fish. Move them to another tank and concentrate medicine.

No. Don't euthanize the dying fish. Move them to another tank and concentrate medicine.
Ok Iā€™ll try that. Do you think that the other fish that donā€™t look sick need treatment? I just donā€™t want to risk one of the fish having the same thing and it just not showing yet

I am so very glad to see the number of people who advocate trying to save the fish. Certainly makes the case for a quarantine / treatment tank. A lot could be learned from treating and saving fish. It's iffy sometimes and the more knowledge among more people the better. Rosario LaCorte was a great proponent of treating and saving fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back