Help Me Dream

Bblou

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 21, 2008
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Barry, South Wales
I am moving to a new ground floor flat and I have my eye on a deep 110 gallon tank.

I want it heavily planted and very colourful.

I like pretty fishies.


what would you put in a tank of that size?
 
I don't have a green thumb so the plants would be out of the question for me. Something of that size would have a nice pile of rockwork and a good sized group of Frontosa.
 
Huge shoals of rainbowfish with nice pices of bogwood and lots of plants.
 
im no good at what goes together lol...

I am not even very clever... and even struggle with the 1 inch per gallon thing lol
 
well, i have done no research on these fish... tell me why they cant go together please?

I know theyre probably stupid combinations, I just picked ones i liked the look of.... lol

German Blue Ram
Bolivian Ram
Silver Dollar
Turquoise Rainbow
Silver Shark
Diamond Tetra
Blue Knight Lobster
Blue Phantom pleco
 
Hey, it may seem like a typical choice, but adding a huge shoal of neon tetras isn't out of the question, forty of them, a female betta sorority of 8-9 members, bristlenose, in that size, you could make a few small islands and even add in amphibians to the mix!
 
For Bblou

well, i have done no research on these fish... tell me why they cant go together please?

I know theyre probably stupid combinations, I just picked ones i liked the look of.... lol

German Blue Ram, they are ok
Bolivian Ram, so are these
Silver Dollar, eat plants
Turquoise Rainbow, fine with most fish but need to be in a group of 6 or more
Silver Shark, grow big and like to be in groups so may need a bigger tank when mature
Diamond Tetra, fine and should be kept in schools
Blue Knight Lobster, might eat fish at night time
Blue Phantom pleco, should be fine
 
wow... not THAT bad then lol.. i thought id have a terrible combo.

terrible terrible combo... but thats not bad.

what about gourami instead of sharks?
or some cichlid? new world ones?
 
Maybe apistos...Still, don't rule out amphibians, I think that the islands would be easy to implement, if you could add smaller ones, like newts. In a tank that size, anything (almost) is possible.
 
The only problem you will have regarding more cichlids is the blue and Bolivian rams. They are cichlids as well and the more types you have, the more chance of arguments. 1 species of Apistogramma would probably be ok but that would be my limit on cichlids in the tank, with the exception of angelfish if you wanted some of them.

Some gouramis would be fine. Look at pearl or silver gouramis for bigger fish and any of the smaller species like sparkling & Indian banded gouramis or some of the different bettas like B. imbellis or B. pugnax if you want something a bit bigger.

You could have another school of tetras in the tank too, perhaps some black phantom or cardinal tetras.
 
Most amphibians cannoy mix well with fish, things like tree frogs would hate being confined to an island, and wouldnt dare go in water that deep. Things like Fire Bellied Newts would just be nipped to pieces by fish, and maybe even attempt to hunt smaller fish. Keep the amphibians seperate from fish, leave it for nature or zoo's, most home aquaria cannot do it.
That is'nt to say it cant be dne, however you cant just stick some rock in and presto.
1 option would be to split the tank, you then build it up say 50% as land and 50% water, however if possible build some form of detterent to stop the amphibians going into the water, provide them wither a more shallow water section of their own, then what you do is you have the fish side at the front with the amphibian side built up.
In this way you could consider something like Poison Dart Frogs (just do a lot of research)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top