Help Me Choose...finishing Stocking 30 Gal.

Faythee

Fish Herder
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
1,039
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Florida, USA
30 gallon planted tank currently has 5 Corys, 1 BN Plec, and 4 Diamond Tetras. I was going to get an Angel or pair of Dwarf Cichlids but think I will go the easy route with a number of pretty & non-aggressive community fish.

Here is what I like so far from liveaquaria. I obviously can't add them all so any suggestions would be helpful. If you have had these fish and recommend them, let me know. I have learned my lesson to ask here first ! :blush:

-Golden White Cloud
-Long Fin White Cloud
-Leopard Longfin Danio

*will Danios and White Clouds shoal together so I could get a mix of them ?

-Neon Swordtail

* can I get 1 of these or do they prefer to be in schools ?

-Rainbow Shark

*think when it gets big, I could transfer it to my 75 gal tank with NW Cichlids ?

-Indian Dwarf Puffer

*gets to be 1" is all and does not require salt. Labeled as aggresive so I am wondering what it is aggressive to ?

-Pseudomugil Rainbow

*beautiful fish and expensive too. Also marked as aggresive, but not sure to what ?

-Hi-Fin Platy

-Marble Hatchet


I would love any input on these fish ! Thank you :rolleyes:
 
you have a long list so here's my advice

either get rid of your diamond tetras and get some angels but dont get danio's coz they will nip the fins and i think the puffers will too.

i think you should up your shoal of diamonds to 5-10, get a mixture of the golden and long finned white clouds (3-5 of each type), if you want neon swordtails get 1 male and 2 females. platys will be fine aswell, get 1 male and 2-3 females. 3-5 hatchet fish are ok.
i wouldnt get a shark as they will get too big and are a bit aggressive.
for a centerpiece i would get 2 Boesemani rainbowfish instead of the other ones as thay are not aggressive.

the only problem is you will have to choose what fish you want and what fish you dont want to get because if you get all of these fish listed your tank would be really overstocked so you will have to decide what ones to get. if it was my tank i would either get the swordtails or the platy's, get a bigger group of diamond tetras, get 2 Boesemani rainbow fish and if there is enough room then get the hatchetfish.
 
30 gallon planted tank currently has 5 Corys, 1 BN Plec, and 4 Diamond Tetras. I was going to get an Angel or pair of Dwarf Cichlids but think I will go the easy route with a number of pretty & non-aggressive community fish.

OK, you need to get the numbers of Diamond tetras up to 5 minimum and 6 preferably to correct the existing stocking. With the right numbers of fish, 24 inches of your stocking will be used, and on here it is usualy recomended one inche per gallon, leaving 6 inches of fish remaining. Options now is a single larger centrepice fish, such as an angel, or a group of smaller fish, :good: say a pair of dwarf cichlids of one kind or another.

Here is what I like so far from liveaquaria. I obviously can't add them all so any suggestions would be helpful. If you have had these fish and recommend them, let me know. I have learned my lesson to ask here first ! :blush:

-Golden White Cloud
-Long Fin White Cloud
-Leopard Longfin Danio
*will Danios and White Clouds shoal together so I could get a mix of them ?

All good grouping fish, so you need a size shoal of 6+, ine group allone will bring you to fully stocked. Yes the minows will shoal together, but the danios will only join them if they don't have a group of their own that is large ehough to feel secure alone. For this reason, it is best not to try and make them shoal together as it will raise the stress on the fish, making them more suceptible to disease :good:

-Neon Swordtail

* can I get 1 of these or do they prefer to be in schools ?

these will do best as a lone male, large group of 6+ males or as a group of females. if you mix the sexes, outnumber males to females two to one, and be prepaired for lots babies, i.e. 30 a month per female

-Rainbow Shark

*think when it gets big, I could transfer it to my 75 gal tank with NW Cichlids ?

yes these get big (I've seen them at 18inches) and need to be in a group of 6+. At this rating, they are too big even for your 75Gal.

-Indian Dwarf Puffer

*gets to be 1" is all and does not require salt. Labeled as aggresive so I am wondering what it is aggressive to ?

puffers are not realy community fish, as they are very nippy, so species only tanks for them, unless the other fish are large and able to stick up for themselves :good:

-Pseudomugil Rainbow

*beautiful fish and expensive too. Also marked as aggresive, but not sure to what ?

not formiliar with these....

-Hi-Fin Platy

treat as swardtails

-Marble Hatchet

treat as tetras, as that is what these are :good: They are jumpy and thus need a tight fitting lid with no holes

for a centerpiece i would get 2 Boesemani rainbowfish instead of the other ones as thay are not aggressive.

Bosmani rainbows need a group of 6+ to feel secure, and though a wonderful centrepice fish, at 4 inches a pice, they will overstock your tank as a good group :sad:

HTH
Rabbut
 
Y'all are awesome !

Well today I picked up a Gold German Ram. It is so adorable. I only took one as it looked the healthiest . I will add another one when I find it. Now I think I will add 2 more Diamond Tetras and 1 Angel. I believe that will complete my stocking.
 
Y'all are awesome !

Well today I picked up a Gold German Ram. It is so adorable. I only took one as it looked the healthiest . I will add another one when I find it. Now I think I will add 2 more Diamond Tetras and 1 Angel. I believe that will complete my stocking.

once the angel fish is fully grown it will eat or attack the diamond tetras
 
I wouldn't think so. The diamonds are quite big. If it were to become an issue I could move them to my other tank or set up one of my unused ones. No biggie.
 
Get the angel small, and it won't touch the tetras :good: It's when you introduce adults or wild caught fish that you get issues, as tetras are their natural food in the wild. When raised together though, the killer instinct seems to vanish
 

Most reactions

Back
Top