Help identifying this plant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Cromid

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
got this plant as part of a random selection the other day. No info was with it so not sure how/where is best to plant it or itā€™s requirements to thrive. As you can see one of the leaves has already started to melt alittle

Any help would be great!

Attachments

• B50E301B-5A11-4220-BCB1-E876EAB5CC4B.jpeg
    B50E301B-5A11-4220-BCB1-E876EAB5CC4B.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 106
got this plant as part of a random selection the other day. No info was with it so not sure how/where is best to plant it or itā€™s requirements to thrive. As you can see one of the leaves has already started to melt alittle

Any help would be great!
I see lots of similarities with Anubias. Iā€™ll attached my Anubias photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 89
I see lots of similarities with Anubias. Iā€™ll attached my Anubias photo.

thanks I just donā€™t know whether it belongs planted in the substrate or attached to surfaces. Issue I guess is, if I choose incorrectly it will die

If it is indeed anubia, needs to be planted above the substrate...

thanks I just donā€™t know whether it belongs planted in the substrate or attached to surfaces. Issue I guess is, if I choose incorrectly it will die
Many people glue it on a rock then planted the roots only to the substrate, i donā€™t use the rocks but i also only plantes the roots, since they are new, when my Blackghost Knife play at night in the morning i see many anubias floating so i have to re-planted them lol. But yeah the anubias do well, the roots are growing i see.

anubias are pretty easy to care for, slow growing plant and can survive with low light, too even though thatā€™s not as good as enough light.

Could you post a picture of the root system? I've never seen an anubias like this, looks more like an amazon sword to me (Echinodorus barthii, for instance). Might be wrong though.
I agree. it doesn't look like any anubias I've seen. A photo of the roots will indeed confirm if it's an anubias as these plants have a rhizome while swords don't. Anubias should be attached to decor, swords should be planted in the substrate so it's important to get the ID right.

Could you post a picture of the root system? I've never seen an anubias like this, looks more like an amazon sword to me (Echinodorus barthii, for instance). Might be wrong though.
In my country it is called anubias afzelii but i donā€™t know if thatā€™s the right name.

but i could be wrong. Just looking at the photo you post and i just got my plants a week ago, i see similarities and hope my answers might help :)

Last edited:
In my country it is called anubias afzelii but i donā€™t know if thatā€™s the right name.

I've never heard of this species before, I guess you learn something new every day ;) But still, if you look at the veins, their pattern is different than A. afzelii. Anubias leaves have one large vein in the centre and then several smaller ones going off to both sides, the one in the OP seems to have 3 main veins parallel to each other with nothing in between. My bet is still on a sword, but if we could get a pic of the root system it would get rid of the confusion.

I've never heard of this species before, I guess you learn something new every day ;) But still, if you look at the veins, their pattern is different than A. afzelii. Anubias leaves have one large vein in the centre and then several smaller ones going off to both sides, the one in the OP seems to have 3 main veins parallel to each other with nothing in between. My bet is still on a sword, but if we could get a pic of the root system it would get rid of the confusion.
I agree, also the anubias afzelii leaf and plant in general is way more slender.

Thanks for all the helps guys, closer inspection shows it has no rhizome just a very condensed amount of roots, and after Abaddom suggested it was a type of sword I looked up more Echinodorus, and found that it most resembles one called ā€œozelot greenā€
So into the substrate it goes!

I am rebuilding my Bettas 5gal tank just now and so hopefully have some photos to show in the next few days! And hopefully some flourishing plants!

thanks again ?

Thanks for all the helps guys, closer inspection shows it has no rhizome just a very condensed amount of roots, and after Abaddom suggested it was a type of sword I looked up more Echinodorus, and found that it most resembles one called ā€œozelot greenā€
So into the substrate it goes!

I am rebuilding my Bettas 5gal tank just now and so hopefully have some photos to show in the next few days! And hopefully some flourishing plants!

thanks again ?
I would love to see your betta tank :)

Agree its a sword. With the number of hybrids it maybe hard to say specifically which sword...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back