Help identify these plants please.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
So I bought these two plants yesterday and one was advertised as an aquarium lily but now I'm not so sure about that anymore. The other one I simply have no idea what it's called.
The image of the plant in the sand is supposed to be a sort of aquarium lily, it simply doesn't look like any picture of an aquarium lily on the internet.

If anyone can identify these two plants that'll be fantastic!

Thanks,
Jordan

Edit: The bag with the rock in it is only there to weigh down the wood until it's waterlogged.

8dd89a749052bf6cecdac69753a8914b.jpg
590b0b48ff2738b7fd3bf6c3ad8242b2.jpg

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
The bulb is one of the species aponogeton
The bulb plant does look like an apongeton to me, though I had a nattans and the leaves were more crinkly and grew straight up.

I’ll tell you if it is, mine grew at a ridiculous pace. The leaf shape made it hard to trim and look good and it was taking over my tank so I pulled it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I Agree Its An Aponogetonn

Thank you for all the replies! I understand the biggest contenders are Barclaya longifolia and Aponogeton sp. I looked up pictures of Barclaya longifolia and it seems similar except that the leaves are slightly wavier (if that makes sense) and straight whilst the leave on the plant in question have a curl to them. I'm of the opinion that at this stage, the best way to find out, is to wait for the plant to send out shoots to the top of the aquarium, and eventually flower.

In any case you've helped me narrow down the options, and in either case this is a plant I'd like to keep.

Thanks for the help!

Jordan

This plant has continued to grow at an alarming rate of about a leaf (sometimes two) per day. I think it looks very similar to aponogeton crispus. I may have to rethink it's placement, right now it makes a nice focal point but if it is aponogeton crispus it's going to get much larger than it is now.
2d2e3312b57a16764cf308e75744ce30.jpg

Here we go again. Now with this photo, I am back to my initial suggestion...this is likely an Echinodorus species. I have one in my 70g, but cannot remember the name they gave it. The "bulb" is the rhizome, which can be quite substantial in these plants. Mine has pushed itself above the sand.

Here we go again. Now with this photo, I am back to my initial suggestion...this is likely an Echinodorus species. I have one in my 70g, but cannot remember the name they gave it. The "bulb" is the rhizome, which can be quite substantial in these plants. Mine has pushed itself above the sand.
Well, I guess I really need to wait and see if it flowers.

Well, I guess I really need to wait and see if it flowers.

That would confirm whichever, but of course flowering from any of the species we suggested is next to impossible. Aponogeton crispus is the more likely to flower, but now that the leaves are growing better I would even go out on a limb and say this is definitely not that species. It is not looking at all like the Barclaya either.

Echinodorus sp., flowering in an aquarium when grown permanently submersed is so rare as to be a non-event. My E. griesbachii ("bleherae" form) have never flowered though up to five inflorescences at the same time from each plant is not unusual.

My E. major has flowered, twice now in 7 years, but then this species is unique among Echinodorus in being permanently submersed and never emersed in the habitat. The other species are true bog or marsh plants that will adapt well to permanently submersed cultivation without flowers. Adventitious plants have also developed after flowering, contrary to what Rataj (2004) suggests in his book.

That would confirm whichever, but of course flowering from any of the species we suggested is next to impossible. Aponogeton crispus is the more likely to flower, but now that the leaves are growing better I would even go out on a limb and say this is definitely not that species. It is not looking at all like the Barclaya either.

Echinodorus sp., flowering in an aquarium when grown permanently submersed is so rare as to be a non-event. My E. griesbachii ("bleherae" form) have never flowered though up to five inflorescences at the same time from each plant is not unusual.

My E. major has flowered, twice now in 7 years, but then this species is unique among Echinodorus in being permanently submersed and never emersed in the habitat. The other species are true bog or marsh plants that will adapt well to permanently submersed cultivation without flowers. Adventitious plants have also developed after flowering, contrary to what Rataj (2004) suggests in his book.
If that's the case I'll be able to confirm whether it's a Echinodurus or not on Thursday. The reason I'll be able to confirm is that I'm adding three Bristlenose pleco to the tank on Thursday. They are well known for eating sword plants, or so I hear.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back