The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rebe

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi all!
So worst case scenario hydra and planaria right? Hopefully not the case. I started running/ cycling my planted 105L tank two weeks ago today. The tank has mangle wood, seiryu stone, plants and layers of substrates. The middle layer, aqua soil leeched large amounts of ammonia which started the cycle and have now been completely converted into nitrite and nitrates. Both of which are still present. Clumps of brown algae all over the tank but that's reasonable because of high nitrite levels. I've had bladder snails for eight days, and since then I've noticed two tiny snails that have spiral shells like ramhorns.

There are two other "concerns" that I haven't been able to identify on my own. Tiny white worms, and tiny organisms that look almost like dandelion seeds. I held off on asking sooner because today my magnifying glass arrived and I was able to use it to take some pictures.
The worms seem to be on the glass only, but not retreating from light. It's my understanding detritus worms live in the substrate, and that planaria live on the glass. But planaria retreat into the substrate under light? I don't notice distinct arrow like heads on the worms, which seem to be the easiest planaria "marker". I think there are other less common flatworms that can occur in aquariums but I'm not sure. All of the worms are under 0.5 cm, and vary in length.

The other mystery organism I've found less about online. One Reddit thread I found through Google. They might be hydra, but they don't look like images of hydra I've found online. They might be seeds, eggs or maybe freshwater anenomys. I've spotted a couple on plants/driftwood but they mainly seem to be on the glass.

I'm hoping to find out with your help, what these things are and whether I should try to rid my tank of them.

The last two images are ones I found online, that I've compared the ones in my tank to. Not images of my own tank/creatures

Attachments

• IMG20230825122447.jpg
    IMG20230825122447.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG20230825122635.jpg
    IMG20230825122635.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20230825122458.jpg
    IMG20230825122458.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG20230825122458.jpg
    IMG20230825122458.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG20230825123357.jpg
    IMG20230825123357.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG20230825123351.jpg
    IMG20230825123351.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 19
  • hydra-life-cycle-l (1).jpg
    hydra-life-cycle-l (1).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Hydra-Montage-3.jpg
    Hydra-Montage-3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 25
They are harmless and depending what fish you keep they are a nice little snack. If you want to reduce them you could do a thorough cleaning but someone with more experience can chime in and point you in the right direction

I'm pretty sure the worms are just detritus worms or something similar. The fish will make short work of them once they're introduced. The "dandelion seed" creatures are interesting. They don't look like any hydras I've seen. It will be interesting to see if anyone else can ID them.

I'm pretty sure the worms are just detritus worms or something similar. The fish will make short work of them once they're introduced. The "dandelion seed" creatures are interesting. They don't look like any hydras I've seen. It will be interesting to see if anyone else can ID them.
Thank you, I was really hoping that they were detritus worms and not something that would damage the hitchhiker snails, plants or future fish. I'm really curious about the creatures too, I'll let you know if anyone can ID them!

Hydra . No ifs , ands or buts about it .
If it's hydra, how dangerous to the tank is it? I have some bladder snails that came in on my aquarium plants (I assume), and once my tank has settled down and is cycled fully, I'm going to get cleaner fish like a pleco or whiptail cat. Down the line I'm going to also get a gourami pair and some tetras. All in stages to let the tank's bacteria adjust. I do like the idea of shrimp but not sure.

If it's hydra, how dangerous to the tank is it? I have some bladder snails that came in on my aquarium plants (I assume), and once my tank has settled down and is cycled fully, I'm going to get cleaner fish like a pleco or whiptail cat. Down the line I'm going to also get a gourami pair and some tetras. All in stages to let the tank's bacteria adjust. I do like the idea of shrimp but not sure.
Hydra , as far as I know , are dangerous only to fry and very small fish that they can catch . I’ve had them on one occasion and they died off - likely from nothing for them to eat . Your experience shows why everyone should quarantine everything before introducing it to an established aquarium. Fish , plants and snails .

Hydra , as far as I know , are dangerous only to fry and very small fish that they can catch . I’ve had them on one occasion and they died off - likely from nothing for them to eat . Your experience shows why everyone should quarantine everything before introducing it to an established aquarium. Fish , plants and snails .
Thank you! I do agree, although my tank is far from established. Set it up in one day, hardscape, plants, the lot. In your opinion would fish like chilli rasboras or ember tetras be at risk? Or only fry and fish even smaller than those

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back