Help identify a plant

revengeishere

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I just bought plants from petsmart. I bought a plant supposedly to be an amazon sword. I bougth 6, but when i came back home, and i inspected the plants, only 2 seems to be a real amazon sword. The other 4 have stiffer, darker leaves, and the veins are'nt as pronounced as the true amazon.

They look look like an anubias, but been searching, and I came to the conclusion that they might be terrestrial houseplants sold as aquatic species. I spent like, $4.00 on each of these. I shudnt have bought plants from them:-(. I also bought crypts from a respectable LFS but they are out of swords....

Here is the pic:
plant1.jpg

plant2.jpg

plant3.jpg

plant4.jpg

thanx.

It is worth remembering that most Swords, (and Crypts), grow naturally in areas of fluctuating water level. They have submerged forms which are soft and largely supported by the water, and emergent forms which are much stouter. It is quite possible that you have an emergent form of your sword.

The Royal Botanic Gardens in Copenhagen have a beautiful display of aquatic plants, many demonstrated with both forms.

It is, however very true, and very sad, that many completely non aquatic plants are sold for use in aquariums.

Not being much of a gardener, they look remarkably similar to the lilly growing in a pot in my bathroom, Anthurium, which is, according to the label, a bog plant. I keep it in a pot with no drainage and have to keep the soil damp at all times.

I have toyed with the idea of getting some of those plants and setting up some kind of sump in my tank, but that was when I was planning an African cichlid tank (they tend to eat plants). I still think it's a viable idea, but my mechanical engineering isn't really up to it!

If it's any consolation, bog lillies are not cheap plants.

Not being much of a gardener, they look remarkably similar to the lilly growing in a pot in my bathroom, Anthurium, which is, according to the label, a bog plant. I keep it in a pot with no drainage and have to keep the soil damp at all times.

I have toyed with the idea of getting some of those plants and setting up some kind of sump in my tank, but that was when I was planning an African cichlid tank (they tend to eat plants). I still think it's a viable idea, but my mechanical engineering isn't really up to it!

If it's any consolation, bog lillies are not cheap plants.
If they are bog plants, they can survive in water then. Is that lily you are talking about kinda stiff, too? This plant is kinda stiffer than the rest of my anubias. I still dunno if this is an anubias(afzeli or congoensis).

Anyway, if we do have the same plant, and this really is a bog lily, I think this kind can survive in your cichlid tank. Like I said, this is stiff, and might not taste too good for them.

Thanx.

Edit: I looked at anthuriums, and I think this isnt it. I do remember anthuriums though, those red leaves(well, you might call em flowers, but in reality, they are modified leaves :nod: ).

Anyway, thnax for helping. At least I crossed out one plant from my list :D
It is worth remembering that most Swords, (and Crypts), grow naturally in areas of fluctuating water level. They have submerged forms which are soft and largely supported by the water, and emergent forms which are much stouter. It is quite possible that you have an emergent form of your sword.

The Royal Botanic Gardens in Copenhagen have a beautiful display of aquatic plants, many demonstrated with both forms.

It is, however very true, and very sad, that many completely non aquatic plants are sold for use in aquariums.

Thanx, yeah it might be possible that this is an anubias or something. But does it look like an aquarium plant to you??

Thanx.

It also looks like the stuff growing round the margains of my neighbour's pond.

From that picture, it does look like some kind of Echinodorus to me (a sword plant), but it's not an Amazon.

AquaNut said:
From that picture, it does look like some kind of Echinodorus to me (a sword plant), but it's not an Amazon.
Yeah, it looks like one, thats why I mistakenly boguth 6 of them. I really thought they were swords. I just checked the roots, and there is a rhizome. So i think Swords are rulled out. Prolly some sort of anubias.

Revenge

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back