Help! Ich

Yes to raising the temp but no salt. This is only a second option if needed. And yes, salt does harm fish. Soft water fish are more susceptible than hard water, but salt does negatively impact a fish and unless it is the safest and most effective treatment for "x" do not use it. I have an article on two sites:

Many years ago, 1990's in fact, I killed fish using so-called ich medications because I did not understand the effect these things have on many fish like characins.

I have seen ich spots suddenly disappear, it may be this or something else. I wouldn't worry. The heat is not going to substantially harm these fish.

Healthy fish will not succumb to ich, it only occurs when the fish are stressed. I use a 20g tank permanently running as a quarantine for new fish acquisitions, and more than once I have spotted ich on the new fish, but without doing anything even not increasing heat they fought it off and it never returned. This is one advantage of having a permanently-running QT, it is like an established tank (mine has sand, plants, thick with floating plants, and a couple chunks of bogwood) which means the fish are immediately in a better environment and thus reduced stress.
Yay! I’m so happy to hear salt only! I like it simple. Thanks, Bryon.
I do not get enough new fish to justify a permanent QT, but I keep an extra large cycled sponge filter in another tank & add appropriately temp. water & borrow substrate from an established tank. Yours sounds a lot prettier than mine.

Yay! I’m so happy to hear salt only! I like it simple. Thanks, Bryon.
I do not get enough new fish to justify a permanent QT, but I keep an extra large cycled sponge filter in another tank & add appropriately temp. water & borrow substrate from an established tank. Yours sounds a lot prettier than mine.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but do not use salt, just raise the temp for ich. If salt is needed for something else, that's different. But not here for ich.

I’m a stressed out idiot & meant to say happy to hear heat only. I have the tank at 82 now. I am not certain the 150 watt heater in the 55 g. tank can get to 86. But I have another new 150 here & both have thermostats.

Some guy in a FB group said to use crushed garlic. Geez, never heard that, thought it was for pizza sauce. He said it cured his ich & had a link to a YouTube vid about using garlic in fish tanks. I didn’t care enough to even look.

Thanks again for your help today, Bryon

I very much doubt the truth in this nonsense. There are some fish foods with garlic, but so far as anyone here or elsewhere has ever said, its "benefits" are basically nil. It may be good for human skin but we are not fish!

A 55g assuming it is 4 feet should have two heaters, one at each end and beside the filter intake and return if these are at either end too. I would also use 200w heaters. The higher wattage tend to be more reliable long-term.

i really should use two heaters. The 55 g is 48”. Especially since I have new ones laying around. I do use 2 in the 125 g tanks.

That guy was saying garlic is the best treatment for ich. 😹😹😹😹

So I got 2 new glofish tetra about 3 days ago and today one of them had Ich on its fins.

The earlier Ich outbreak had just cleared and all fish survived. Now I have the same thing again.

Will my older fish again get the disease, having recovered just about a week - 10 days back? Or have they become immune?

Earlier treatment was just keeping the temp at 30-31 deg C. I think I will again do the same treatment.

The original fish that had whitespot will catch it again if you introduce the disease back into the tank. So if you have new fish with white spot, and they are in the main tank with the other fish, start treating the tank now. Get the water temperature up to 30C (86F) and keep it there for at least 1 week after all the spots have gone.

If you insulate the base, back and sides of the tank, it will be easier on the heaters trying to warm the water up. A coverglass also helps trap heat if you don't have one on the top of the tank.

The original fish that had whitespot will catch it again if you introduce the disease back into the tank. So if you have new fish with white spot, and they are in the main tank with the other fish, start treating the tank now. Get the water temperature up to 30C (86F) and keep it there for at least 1 week after all the spots have gone.

If you insulate the base, back and sides of the tank, it will be easier on the heaters trying to warm the water up. A coverglass also helps trap heat if you don't have one on the top of the tank.
Great, thanks. Will do this. Actually the room temp during the day goes to 40 deg C and at night to 30degC. So the heater does not need to do much at all.

Great, thanks. Will do this. Actually the room temp during the day goes to 40 deg C and at night to 30degC. So the heater does not need to do much at all.
Those temperatures sound nice to me right now. It is around 18-20C during the day and drops to 10C at night, and it's getting colder. Although once it hits 40C I would want the temperature to drop to 20C. I'm never happy :)

Most reactions

Back