Help. I need grade advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So sorry you missed your deadline. It happens - some teachers are just jerks. When I was in college I went to extra tutoring sessions for General Chemistry. The professor held the study groups. Once he explained something to me and I still didn't get it - and asked him to explain it again and he said "What are you stupid or something". I never went back to his tutoring courses and ended up with a C in General Chem. In graduate school at a different University I needed to go back and get that Chemistry grade up. I ACED General Chem, Organic Chem and Biochem. I couldn't believe the difference in teaching styles between the two schools - I actually was a Chemistry wiz and didn't even know it. But that C in General Chem at the first school pretty much blew my chances at getting into medical school. I still hate that man for what he did to me - I wasn't a crummy student or stupid, he was just a bad teacher.

So chin up, re-take the math course, have a heart to heart talk with your teacher and see if she/he is willing to give you some extra coaching. Point out that you are a straight A student in all your other classes so you want her help in finding out what has happened with math. As such a good student you obviously are not stupid - so something else is going on. Perhaps a mental block now that this has stressed you out to the point where you have math aversion. If he/she is unhelpful do go visit the principle and take a parent with you to back you up. When a good student fails something that he is obviously trying to master a subject there is something wrong with the teacher or the materials - it is unlikely to be your fault. Hang in there and don't let you have a permanent aversion to mathmatics - they are too important in many of the higher paying jobs when you graduate college in a few years. This year has been a lost year for many students due to the pandemic and a struggle for teachers trying to learn a new teaching style. Whatever you do, believe in yourself and don't let this affect you forever.

thanks but my teacher made some last-minute changes and I now passed with 62.7% and a D!!
So sorry you missed your deadline. It happens - some teachers are just jerks. When I was in college I went to extra tutoring sessions for General Chemistry. The professor held the study groups. Once he explained something to me and I still didn't get it - and asked him to explain it again and he said "What are you stupid or something". I never went back to his tutoring courses and ended up with a C in General Chem. In graduate school at a different University I needed to go back and get that Chemistry grade up. I ACED General Chem, Organic Chem and Biochem. I couldn't believe the difference in teaching styles between the two schools - I actually was a Chemistry wiz and didn't even know it. But that C in General Chem at the first school pretty much blew my chances at getting into medical school. I still hate that man for what he did to me - I wasn't a crummy student or stupid, he was just a bad teacher.

So chin up, re-take the math course, have a heart to heart talk with your teacher and see if she/he is willing to give you some extra coaching. Point out that you are a straight A student in all your other classes so you want her help in finding out what has happened with math. As such a good student you obviously are not stupid - so something else is going on. Perhaps a mental block now that this has stressed you out to the point where you have math aversion. If he/she is unhelpful do go visit the principle and take a parent with you to back you up. When a good student fails something that he is obviously trying to master a subject there is something wrong with the teacher or the materials - it is unlikely to be your fault. Hang in there and don't let you have a permanent aversion to mathmatics - they are too important in many of the higher paying jobs when you graduate college in a few years. This year has been a lost year for many students due to the pandemic and a struggle for teachers trying to learn a new teaching style. Whatever you do, believe in yourself and don't let this affect you forever.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back