Help! I Have Cpd Babies! What Do I Do?

214jay

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello.  Its all happening with me at the moment, as one tank is losing fish my 2nd tank is gaining.

I have some Celestial Pearl Danios in a tank on my office desk that is a couple of weeks old (plus 2 months fishless cycle).  I was looking into the tank and somehow noticed a fry on the glass at the back.  I counted three in total, have managed to scoop two up in a shot glass and put them in a plastic tub, bottom cut out with a fish net around - currently sitting in the tank.  THese fry are tiny, like 2mm long!!

What do I do?  Should I feed them? Should I move them somewhere else? Any help???

20130822_191259-1.jpg

20130822_191243.jpg

barley see it, you sure there CPD fry? have any other fish in there?
Id get another tank and start feeding brine and other live foods, i also here hikari first bits are good aswell.

CPD fry are too small for even newly hatched brine shrimps to start with.

Really you want infusoria/green water for them; putting some live plant in the net should be enough to get them going though.

They are the only fish in there (with the exception of some shrimp and snails). I have seen them rubbing themselves against each other but never expected fry yet!  I have some spirulina powder, can I soak that in tank water and inject?

The pot I have found is tiny, not sure I can fit much of a plant in there

214jay said:
They are the only fish in there (with the exception of some shrimp and snails). I have seen them rubbing themselves against each other but never expected fry yet!  I have some spirulina powder, can I soak that in tank water and inject?
CPD aren't that hard to spawn; it's raising the fry that's the tricky bit! Try the spirulina powder, could do the job

The pot I have found is tiny, not sure I can fit much of a plant in there
Doesn't have to be a whole plant; clippings of stem plants would be great. Live plants are covered in microorganisms and algae.

Okay thanks for that!  I have put a clipping of Camboba and some Spriulina in there.  Not sure what to do next, may have to head to the LFS tomorrow and pick up a bigger pot for the tank.  I have no room for anymore tanks to seperate them.

Luckily CPD aren't very predatory to fry, so they won't need to be kept separate for long; a couple of weeks, if you can get them feeding and do plenty of water changes
good.gif

Thank you so much!! They appear to be shooting around with the spirulina (probably in shear panic!)

I will up the water changes, luckily very easy on such a small tank!  This learning curve gets greater by the day!

liquifry no2. by interpet. had lots of success with endler fry using it. drop a blob into a shot glass of tank water and stir it first though. sometimes it dosent disperse. after 10-14 days I fed tetra min baby powdered flake. java moss is also a good natural source of infusoria.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back