Help! I brought home snails!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ozziegt

Reaction score
OK so I am setting up a new tank. I bought some plants to add to the tank from the LFS to help it cycle and it looks like I got some snails...I see 2 of them wandering aroundin the gravel. What do I do??? Should I get rid of them? Will the ammonia / lack of food kill them???

Well, you can definitely pick them out and toss them out. I have also heard of people cycling tanks with snails, although I'd assume that these would be larger snails, not the ones that sneak in on plants. But still... You could also leave them there and buy some loaches for the cycled tank, if the ammonia doesn't kill the snails first. It'd be a delicacy for the loaches! ;)

But seriously, I'd probably just take them out as you find them. If they do die, they'll be decomposing in your tank, and that's probably a mess you don't need right now. Just take them out as you see them and give them as little time as possible to reproduce. Think of it this way -- it'll give you something to do while waiting for the tank to cycle. :)

-- Pamela

Hi ozziegt :)

Don't worry about a few snails. They are often an interesting addition to a tank, and they were free as well. :thumbs:

It is only if you over feed your fish and there is lots of extra food laying around that they will reproduce to the point of being out of control. If that doesn't happen, they will eat odd bits they find here and there and eat algae too.

Sometimes, depending on what fish you get, they are a great source of live food for them. For example, gouramis love them if you crush their shells between your fingers. This is not anywhere near as bad as it sounds, believe me.

Anyway, since you only have a few, if you don't want them, just pick them out when you see them. Do not consider using any chemical product to eliminate them. :D

OK. I guess I'll leave them for now...as far as I can tell there are only 3 or 4.

dont waste your time killing them
u probebly brought home a plant with snails on them or snail eggs on them its ok every1deoes it next time just was your plants before you put them in also dwarf puffers will eat most types of snail hope that helps ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back