Help! Honey gouramis unwell

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I won't speculate on the swordtail. Tank size is OK, this is something most of us want to know when discussing fish species to be added. At this point, I still suggest leaving things for a time to ensure there are no issues.

I won't speculate on the swordtail. Tank size is OK, this is something most of us want to know when discussing fish species to be added. At this point, I still suggest leaving things for a time to ensure there are no issues.
Ok, i will leave everything for a while, thankyou for your help!

Screenshot_20230713_223453_Samsung Internet.jpg

Are you still using this one? It would be nice to see a whole tank shot to see how it's progressed...

When you found the dead gourami, did you test your water again? Are you testing for ammonia and nitrite as well? One thing I recommend is anytime you notice something dodgy going on in the tank, fish acting weird or there's a death, do a big 50-70% water change...obviously new fish added to the tank will act off so just use your initiative..

Weekly 50% water changes will really help to keep your water clean and stable. When you're adding new water, make sure its dechlorinated FIRST and that it is as close to the temperature of the water already in the tank, otherwise you could shock the fish.

How did you acclimate the gouramis just out of interest?

View attachment 322450
Are you still using this one? It would be nice to see a whole tank shot to see how it's progressed...

When you found the dead gourami, did you test your water again? Are you testing for ammonia and nitrite as well? One thing I recommend is anytime you notice something dodgy going on in the tank, fish acting weird or there's a death, do a big 50-70% water change...obviously new fish added to the tank will act off so just use your initiative..

Weekly 50% water changes will really help to keep your water clean and stable. When you're adding new water, make sure its dechlorinated FIRST and that it is as close to the temperature of the water already in the tank, otherwise you could shock the fish.

How did you acclimate the gouramis just out of interest?
Yes i did test my paramaters, all seemed fine expect my nitrate was a bit high, i will do all of that next time something dodgy happens. Heres a pic: (the honey gouramis hides whenever i walk up to the tank)

20230714_082004.jpg

Also most of the corydoras are behind the driftwood.
20230714_082504.jpg

I don't know if it was suggested earlier in this thread, but you need some floating plants. There are algae problems looming if you don't. How long is the light on each day? Duration can work to control it some, but floaters really do it. And definitely water changes as others have suggested. Each week, 50-60%, when all is normal is basic.

The floaters will also calm the fish, and they will be out much more. Regardless of you being there. :fish:

I don't know if it was suggested earlier in this thread, but you need some floating plants. There are algae problems looming if you don't. How long is the light on each day? Duration can work to control it some, but floaters really do it. And definitely water changes as others have suggested. Each week, 50-60%, when all is normal is basic.

The floaters will also calm the fish, and they will be out much more. Regardless of you being there. :fish:
I promise I will get some floating plants in a few days when i am back at school so i can grab some after school

Yes i did test my paramaters, all seemed fine expect my nitrate was a bit high, i will do all of that next time something dodgy happens. Heres a pic: (the honey gouramis hides whenever i walk up to the tank)

View attachment 322454
Also most of the corydoras are behind the driftwood.View attachment 322456

Your substrate is clean and some nice plants in there, but the filter box and the wood don’t look very healthy.

It must have been a very long time since you clean the filter. I’d scrub the outside of the box and rinse whatever you have inside the box using tank water. I’d also remove whatever algae growing on the driftwood, taking care not to dislodge the plant.

if you don't have a cover for an aquarium, drop the water level down a couple of inches and put some plastic lunch wrap on the top

Your substrate is clean and some nice plants in there, but the filter box and the wood don’t look very healthy.

It must have been a very long time since you clean the filter. I’d scrub the outside of the box and rinse whatever you have inside the box using tank water. I’d also remove whatever algae growing on the driftwood, taking care not to dislodge the plant.
Ok, will do! Thanks

Dwarf Gouramis will explore Everywhere! I frequently see mine go on its side and try to go under stuff. I had to remove two castles as they managed to wedge themselves in. Yours may have explored and got stuck.
Make sure the rock is pressed down so it cant go under.

Dwarf Gouramis will explore Everywhere! I frequently see mine go on its side and try to go under stuff. I had to remove two castles as they managed to wedge themselves in. Yours may have explored and got stuck.
Make sure the rock is pressed down so it cant go under.
I had one of my angelfish get stuck in a little archway on a big castle. Had to push the fish through with a bit of force and it got scraped up on the side and lost it's ventricle fins in the process. One of them grew back but the other is stunted. Needless to say the castle came out after that.

Most reactions

Back