Help! Hardwater build up on used HOB filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can you submerge a HOB filter? The one that my new/used tank came with is disgusting. It was on the lid too. I soaked that in a vinegar solution and still had to use steel wool for the worst of it and then a dental tool (My dad used to make crowns, bridges, etc. for a living so we have a bunch of weird things around!) to scrape the small bits off. It's hard water build up. I'd LIKE to soak the filter. It will be a B to sit here and use a soaked vinegar solution washcloth to rest on it then scr
HOB dirty2 resize.jpg
ape... but I also don't know that the vinegar helped much in the first place. Appreciate your help!

Citric acid? See if you can remove the pump in case it affects the o-ring and and any exposed rotor metal.

As with most chemical reactions, an increase in temp will accelerate the reaction.

As with most chemical reactions, an increase in temp will accelerate the reaction.
I added more vinegar to the solution (it's not 50/50 but I don't have that many gallons of vinegar! (The only thing that I could fit the lid in required a lot of liquid to cover the lid.) I put my heater in the tub... thanks for the heat suggestion! I have it clipped on so the motor won't get submerged just in case... I CANNOT get the motor out. I also have the tubing soaking. THe water was COLD so it will take a while to heat. I suppose covering it would speed up the process but I'm down for the time being. Heh. Appreciate your help!

Citric acid? See if you can remove the pump in case it affects the o-ring and and any exposed rotor metal.
Couldn't remove the motor to save my life. I clipped it so just what is covered is hanging in the water and vinegar. The tubing and stuff is in there too. I'm heating it up so I hope that will help, too. If it doesn't, when I get back into town on Wednesday I'll get some citric acid and try that. Appreciate the help!

I would try pure vinegar just wipe it on get it really wet let sit a few minutes then try scrubbing, see what that does.

I would try pure vinegar just wipe it on get it really wet let sit a few minutes then try scrubbing, see what that does.
Soak paper towels and cover, cotton balls for tight spaces. I do this when descaling tank lids.

Soak paper towels and cover, cotton balls for tight spaces. I do this when descaling tank lids.
Awesome! Thanks! Soaking it for a few hours helped, but it's still got a lot of work needed. I'll do that! Perfect excuse to turn a movie on, lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back