Help! Goldfish back scales

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nitrate should be 20 ppm or less. The lower the better.

Preferably lower, yes. But I was explaining 25 is like the “safe” maximum. ;)

I agree with everyone else, he has a severe case of dropsy and needs to be euthanized. For the future is that a quarantine tank or the main tank? How big is it? It looks way too small for a goldfish.

I agree with everyone else, he has a severe case of dropsy and needs to be euthanized. For the future is that a quarantine tank or the main tank? How big is it? It looks way too small for a goldfish.
How did the dropsy and pinecone happen?

How did the dropsy and pinecone happen?
Stress in fish leads to disease or exacerbates an existing one. Poor water quality, improper space environment ect...can all cause stress.
Gold fish are super messy fish and put out alot of ammonia so require large tanks and or lots of water changes. They also require highly oxygenated water and cooler water not tropical. Also your tank looks to be just glass bottom. This can stress fish out. Fish need a substrate. Good luck sorry about your fish:(

Stress in fish leads to disease or exacerbates an existing one. Poor water quality, improper space environment ect...can all cause stress.
Gold fish are super messy fish and put out alot of ammonia so require large tanks and or lots of water changes. They also require highly oxygenated water and cooler water not tropical. Also your tank looks to be just glass bottom. This can stress fish out. Fish need a substrate. Good luck sorry about your fish:(
Do they need chiller? i have this goldfish for almost 2 years not a problem

10ppm? That’s only recommend if you’re breeding fish, or battling algae. It is recommended to keep you nitrate at 25ppm.
What??? No, nitrate should be below 20ppm and preferably 10ppm or below.

20 gallons is fine for that fish. Fancy goldfish have squashed bodies and so their internal organs are tighter. You have to be very careful in not over feeding them. Sometimes it’s just genetics and nothing you can do. I just lost a beautiful fancy goldfish that was over 3 years old. I tried everything to save him but I believe his kidneys stopped working properly. Again, genetics probably played a role in it.

Most reactions

trending

Back