Help Freshwater Blue Lobster Has Eggs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TIGGYNTAZZY

Reaction score
I have just noticed that my freshwater blue lobster has many eggs underneath her tail.
The isn't any other crayfish in the tank just her, we have had her over a year now and she is 6inches long.
Can anyone tell me why she produced eggs without a male present, is this a common thing that happens or what? Can they reproduce themselves without a male present

I don't know if it's common, but they can't breed without a male.

What colour are the eggs? Are they white? If so they're unfertilised. (Which would make sense seeing as you don't have a male! lol)

The eggs are white/cream and some are black she is cleaning and rearranging them, some she is taking off.

Actually I stand corrected, or slightly corrected, they can apparently store sperm.

However white eggs = unfertilised

Dark eggs = fertilised

http://www.dearbluelobster.com/2004/07/postpartum-depression-in-crayfish.html

Actually I stand corrected, or slightly corrected, they can apparently store sperm.

However white eggs = unfertilised

Dark eggs = fertilised

http://www.dearbluelobster.com/2004/07/postpartum-depression-in-crayfish.html
Live breeding fish can store for months in like sacks! So possible depending n factors of cause - sure mum nos what shes doing.. Dark eggs you want, make sure you have loads hiding places and feed well (not too much thou).. be great if they survive,,, !! well done

I have just noticed that my freshwater blue lobster has many eggs underneath her tail.
The isn't any other crayfish in the tank just her, we have had her over a year now and she is 6inches long.
Can anyone tell me why she produced eggs without a male present, is this a common thing that happens or what? Can they reproduce themselves without a male present

we need to find out which sort of cray you have.

cray dont carry stored sperm. though i have seen that written somewhere. but a female will "berry" even with unsterilised eggs. you can tell if they are fertilised, by their colour.

the only other option is that you have a "marble" cray. these are a genetic misfit (some maintain a genetic experiment) and are a sexual. not needing a mate, and producing clones of themselves. they carry plague(crayfish). and as thay are clones. offer nothing to nature. they are Illegal in the UK, and some other country's.

what colour are the eggs?
can you upload a picture of your cray?

but, my guess, from your description, is you have an unfertilised "berry". but i need more information to be sure.

cray dont carry stored sperm. though i have seen that written somewhere. but a female will "berry" even with unsterilised eggs. you can tell if they are fertilised, by their colour.

the only other option is that you have a "marble" cray. these are a genetic misfit (some maintain a genetic experiment) and are a sexual. not needing a mate, and producing clones of themselves. they carry plague(crayfish). and as thay are clones. offer nothing to nature. they are Illegal in the UK, and some other country's.

but, my guess, from your description, is you have an unfertilised "berry". but i need more information to be sure.

It is a blue Lobster the eggs are yellow and black some all black and some all yellow. she has picked alot of the off from the underneath of her tail and put them in the gravel but she stil have some hanging down. don't understand why she has produced these eggs for no reason at all.
NOVEMBER%20PHOTOS%20002.jpg

It is a blue Lobster the eggs are yellow and black some all black and some all yellow. she has picked alot of the off from the underneath of her tail and put them in the gravel but she stil have some hanging down. don't understand why she has produced these eggs for no reason at all.
NOVEMBER%20PHOTOS%20002.jpg

as i said, most cray berry, even with no males in the tank. its, honestly, not that unusual.
in redclaws, the eggs are held, by the female, till they hatch. they do not drop off to hatch. same goes for un-fertilised berrys. they stay attached, full term, then drop off and are eaten by the female. though it may be worth adding an anti fungal agent, just to make sure.

though i am still sure you are having an un-fertilised berry. your discription fits! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back