Help! Filter Media

Keithoms

Fish Addict
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
885
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Edinburgh - Scotland, UK
Cleaning the tank and rate of flow is pretty bad, kinda clogged. Washing out the media doesnt really do much. Is putting in a new media ok? Its been floating in tank for 2-3 wks. Will my bacteria be ok?
 
Have you tried removing the impeller and 'de-gunking' it?
 
you could always cut your old sponge in half and add half the new one this will help to seed the new sponge then after a while throw the old half away and add the new half if you get what i mean lol
regards scot :good:
 
If you rinsed out the filter insert with tank water and are still experienceing low flow the impeller must be clogged as well. I have one of those tetra hanging filters and a quick rinse in tank water does the trick.
 
It sounds like it is time to remove the pebbles. They have served their purpose. If you still can't get flow through the filter cartridge, rinse it more thoroughly. I give mine a good squeezing when I clean it. I just don't use tap water, because I want the bacteria to live through the cleaning process. Anything short of actually scrubbing the old cartridge will leave most of your bacteria intact.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top