Help - Fighting Neon Tetras

BeckyN

New Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi,

I'm reasonably new to the tropical fish scene. I have a 15L Biorb (I know, some dont like them!) and currently have 4 neon tetras.
I added the fish two at a time and the last two were added just under a week ago.
All seemed well for the first few days, but since I've noticed that they (I suppose one in particular) chases and nips the other 3 causing the others to nip back - (I say nip cos thats what it looks like they are doing)
I've noticed it more just after they've fed in the morning, although I cant account for what goes on in the day as I'm at work.

Does anyone have any advice as to why they are doing this? what I can do to stop? Are my fish at risk of being injured or killed?

Thanks
 
well really its cruel to keep neons in a biorb they need atleast a 60 litre as does any tetra as they are very active fish. the nipping could be down to stress but more than likely shoal numbers. neons need to be kept together in a minimum of 6.

get a bigger tank for the neons. preferably not a biorb a 60 litre rectangular tank would be best. not rounded or tall. and they shall be happy and you will be able to have a bigger shoal. and neons also need a mature tank 6 months +. or there is a chance they will just die
 
Hi and welcome :)

Do you have a water testing kit to hand, if so, can you give us the readings for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte?

How often do you do water changes and how long has the tank been set up?

Tetras are known fin nippers, usually more so in smaller groups, however your tank isnt big enough for a large shoal, I would imagine that providing water quality is good, ie no ammonia or nitrIte, then the tetra doing the nipping is trying to establish itself as the dominant fish.
 
That maybe the case and Im not arguing with you, but for now lets try and help sort out these tetras by getting some more information :)
 
yep we need info water stats etc water age. how many water changes you do a month etc. also any other inhabitants.
if they have torn or damaged fins they are liable to disease. ie finrot

ps minx. its nice to see you have changed your sig
 
did you cycle your tank or anything or are you doing a fish in cycle
scot :good:

minx i had a good laugh at that sig
 
Hi,
The tank was set up in August and run on a fishless cycle for 8/9 weeks. The first two neons were added at the beginning of October and the last two last week (I had long working hours and couldn't get the fish before)
Unfortunately I dont remember the readings but I was advised when I had the water tested and I've had it tested 4 times that the levels have remained constant and are very good (i wish i had the readings now)

No signs of any illness or fins being torn yet

I was planning to add the last two fish to bring the school to 6 as advised by my LFS as that would be a happy number of tetras and would be suitable for my tank.

I also do a small glass water exchange once a week, I was told this would be the best way for my tank?? Have i been told wrong?
 
another case of BSS from the LFS neons IMO neons need atleast a 60cm long to survive happily. a school of 6 will over stock the tank and neons should only be introduced to a tank that has been up and running for 4-6 months. as the water and filter have had time to mature. i really suggest you buy a bigger tank about 60 litres. a rekord 60 would be good. ive got one and im pleased with it.
 
Hi Becky, when you say fishless cycle was this by adding an ammonia source, either pure ammonia or fish flake or was it to leave the tank running for several weeks with water, filter heater running etc?

Its good that you are getting the water tested, next time can you write down the readings for us, it just helps to eliminate any factors that could be upsetting the fish.

I think its probably just as I said establishing a boss of the group, whilst adding two more may help, unfortunately as already said, tetras do like a larger tank and require a good swimming space.

Can I also ask what temperature do you have the tank set to?


(Chesterscot, thanks :D )
 

Most reactions

Back
Top