Help! Emergency! Save Dorothy The Goldfish!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GuineaPigster

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I just joined this forum in the hopes that someone could help me. Before the story, you'll probably want some info. Here's the stats: 
29 Gallon
KH: 20
PH: 7
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
I siphon every few days, and do a 10% water change every week. A tablespoon of aquarium salt  is added during every water change, as well as some stress coat.
Fish: 3 jade head guppies, 4 goldfish, a pleco.
The goldfish eat API Goldfish Pellet, the guppies eat TetraColor Tropical Crisps, the pleco eats leftover goldfish/guppy food, live plants and algae wafers.
My tank is filled with plants, and they do fabulously in my tank, keep the ammonia down, provide hiding places. I have never had an algae problem, EVER!
I know some people will ask me: ''WHY DID YOU GET PLECOS, GOLDFISH AND GUPPIES? THEY DO HORRIBLY TOGETHER!''
Just so everyone knows, they are all rescues, from HORRID situations. 
They do well together though. "The Plecopotamus" (that's his name) is very docile, and lets the goldfish clamor all over him, getting his food. I know he would never hurt anyone. 
Two nights ago, I tucked my fish in (i.e. turned the light off, said good night :) ), and everyone was great. Then I woke up, and saw that one of my goldfish, Dorothy (I estimate her to be about a year or two old, she's a female, they're all females), had a large white spot on one of her sides, (much larger than the pleco's mouth) and some tiny spots on her other side. They had white stuff flaking off. It's not a rash, just missing scales, to the point where it's white and flaking off. I immediately treated the tank with aquarium salt, stress coat, and did a 25% water change. I then went to the petstore, and got an anti-fungal medicine. I went home, treated the tank with that, added some maracyn, and removed the carbon from the filter. Today, it has flaked even more, to the point where I can see one of her organs. I don't want to wake up tomorrow and find her with her organs poking out. She is eating, playing normally, apparently oblivious to the fact she has something on her side. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to euthanize her, but i will if necessary.
I called the local vet school and I'm still waiting to hear from the aquatics department. I've called fish vets across the world but no one will pick up or call back. I love this fish and will do everything I can to save her!

This would be a situation where quarantine is the most important start.  I am not saying that the pleco is responsible (I'm also not saying it isn't responsible either), but no sense chancing it.

Secondly, having the fish in a separate tank will allow you to complete more water changes, as the most important thing for the fish is clean water.

Got to agree with Eagles, get that fish out of there.

If you have another tank to quarantine it in that would be best, otherwise float a largish plastic container in the top of your tank with enough holes to let water stream through it then keep the lights off for a while.

From your description it really isn't clear of the cause so watch your other fish for signs of illness. I would quarantine it for at least 24hrs before killing anything.

Good luck - sounds like you are being very diligent, you shouldn't feel bad if you cant save her.

Noahh

The only available tank I have is a 5 gallon. Considering she is the size of a small tangerine, would this be an acceptable tank? Thanks so much for your reply! Update: 7:03 Put her in. I have been dosing the 29 with an anti-fungal at around noon daily. Should I add a treatment to the 5 tonight?

I'd just keep the water VERY clean.  The anti-fungal isn't necessary, but it wouldn't be a bad idea.  Just watch for ammonia spikes, since I assume there isn't a filter on the 5 gallon.  Even if there is, you still probably don't have it cycled with bacteria... so, I'd get some Prime or Stress Coat+, these detoxify ammonia.  This will help in between the twice daily water changes (as big as possible) that you'll probably need to do to keep the ammonia as low as possible - and the water as clean as possible.

I know what you are saying regarding the pleco, but it very well may be the culprit.  Watch the other fish for signs of a similar nature.  Plecos have been known to suck on the slime coat of goldfish, and once they get the taste of it, you may have a real problem on your hands.  (I just want to prepare you for what may end up happening.)  The plecos can be far more active at night than during the day, so you may not have witnessed anything, but that doesn't mean that it isn't the culprit.

Thank you! I have a carbonated filter on the 5 and I have been using stress coat daily. Right now she is in the 5 and doing well. My! Goldfish, like other smalll animals are rumored to be such hardy fish, but in truth they really are very sensitive. Thank you for your help with my beloved fish. I thank you, and surely she is grateful as well. I will keep you posted!

Update: Dorothy is well accumated to the 5. Right now I'm doing a 50% water change. I will then add some aquarium salt and stress coat, and an anti-fungal.
You know how humans have several layers of skin? Well it looks that way on Dorothy. First the slime coat, then the scales, some white fluffy stuff that flaked off, and now one final layer that's holding up. I'm just worried because it's the only thing separating her and her organs from everything.

How's your fish now?

50% water change sounds too much, I know we've said keep the water clean but you may be compromising the filter bacteria!?

If she seems to be recovering, step it all down a notch and keep her fed and undisturbed.

Noahh

Thanks Noahh.
fish.gif

It seems hat she got chomped by the pleco, then developed a secondary fungal infection. She's holding up, but slowly flaking away. 
no.gif

Lots of water changes... lots and lots.

Plecos and goldies just don't mix well.  I'd keep a close eye on the other goldies for issues with them, as well.

Yup... Sorry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back