Help! Does my Betta look healthy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

ilovetimmy

Reaction score
DBCC384E-EFC6-4615-AB1E-5D2F7842F246.jpeg
Hi! This is my first thread.

About a week ago, I was going to feed my Betta and he didnā€™t swim up to the top of the tankā€¦ (This was extremely unusual for him as he knows heā€™s going to be fed when I turn on the light in the morningā€¦) I saw his fins under a rock and lifted up the rock, he swam right up to the top and had a little bruise on his head.
I treated the tank with Multicare fish medicine to avoid infectionā€¦
The bruise has gone down a lot but is still noticeable.
Does he look healthy? Should I treat the tank again?
Iā€™m scared because I have had pet Bettas die before and it is heartbreaking :(
Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish for?
What other fish are in the tank with him?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

--------------------
The fish is missing part of its tail (in the middle).
The fish appears to have some excess mucous on dorsal section on the front half of the body.

These are possibly caused by the rock falling on him.

I assume the offending rock has been removed and there are no other items that could fall?

--------------------
Any idea what is in the Multicare fish medicine?

I would do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week and see how he goes.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Just to add onto Colin's observations, he also looks a bit on the bloated side. I would keep an eye on how much and what kind of foods you are feeding. Bettas are prone to constipation issues which when chronic can lead to swim bladder disease.

Low quality dry foods that have a lot of fillers (wheat, corn meal, any grain really as the first or second ingredient) are difficult for betta's to digest because they are insectivores. They do not digest plant matter or carbohydrates well and too much fiber can cause digestive issues/bloat.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back