Help! Betta is lethargic and is breathing heavy

Pimafix and Melafix won't do anything for that. You need an actual antibiotic like Furan 2, Kanaplex or something like that. I can't really advise on what is available due to being in a different country but those 2 drugs might be available at pet shops.
I'm able to order kanaplex on amazon. Is furan-2 the same as fin and body cure? If so the fin and body cure would arrive faster than the kanaplex.

update: I just decided to go with the kanaplex.

Last edited:
Is there anything else I can do while I wait for the medicine to arrive? I know he might not make it by then sadly.

I'm able to order kanaplex on amazon. Is furan-2 the same as fin and body cure? If so the fin and body cure would arrive faster than the kanaplex.
Kanaplex is Kanamycin
Furan 2 is Nitrofurazone
Fin & body cure is Doxycycline (one of the tetracycline based antibiotics).

These are all different types of anti-biotics designed for people but do sometimes get used to treat fish.

Try and avoid Tetracycline based medications in aquariums. these should be left to treat people.

-------------------
Is there anything else I can do while I wait for the medicine to arrive? I know he might not make it by then sadly.
Salt and big daily water changes might help slow its spread, but might not. Use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt (aquarium salt) for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep salt in there until the medication arrives.

Salt and big daily water changes might help slow its spread, but might not. Use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt (aquarium salt) for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep salt in there until the medication arrives.
I’ll try to grab aquarium salt tomorrow. I found some melafix,but it probably won’t do much right?

There is definitely a huge change in water quality. Back home, I was able to give my betta RO water that was remineralized with seachem equilibrium and alkaline buffer, which he probably enjoyed. I tried to keep the ph the same as my college when using RO water since the tap water at my college is really high in ph(8.3). However, since I am a broke college student, I do not know if I can afford to buy him RO water here. He was doing fine in my college tap water before break, so maybe he just got used to the RO water???
Never heard of RO water.

We also in the uk cannot by antibotics over the shop counter for fish. Only from certain qualified fish vets

I’ll try to grab aquarium salt tomorrow. I found some melafix, but it probably won’t do much right?
I doubt Melafix will help, I'm not even sure salt will at this stage. I'm just grasping at straws in a hope it does help.

I doubt Melafix will help, I'm not even sure salt will at this stage. I'm just grasping at straws in a hope it does help.
my pet store has E.M. Erthromycin. Would that work or should I wait for the kanaplex?

Erythromycin should help, it's a pretty strong anti-biotic.

If the Kanamycin is going to take a week to get to you, then get Erythromycin now. If you get the Kanamycin in the next day or two, wait for that.

The Kanaplex is scheduled to arrive on Sunday. My betta is on the bottom breathing heavy so I think it might just be better to euthanize him at this point. I really don't want to, but his suffering is putting me in a lot of pain as well.

Is he still eating?
If a fish is still eating there is a chance he will keep going. But whether you want to wait till Sunday for the medication is up to you. If you can get the Erythromycin now, you could try that.

However, if he has stopped eating, then euthanise him.

Is he still eating?
If a fish is still eating there is a chance he will keep going. But whether you want to wait till Sunday for the medication is up to you. If you can get the Erythromycin now, you could try that.

However, if he has stopped eating, then euthanise him.
He ate this morning, but that was right before he started breathing heavy. If he's still here towards dinner time, I'll try feeding him. If I'm able to get the Erythromycin today I will probably start treating him, but then again I'm not sure if I'm able to go to the store today.

I just administered the Erythromycin so I'll keep everyone updated.

It's been a little over 24 hours so I've added a second dose of Erythromycin, but it doesn't seem to be helping so far. He did eat his dinner tonight though. The kanaplex should come here by tomorrow or monday at the very latest. I know that mixing medications is harmful, but I really do want to try the kanaplex as soon as possible. I also heard that you should always finish a round of antibiotics and give a fish a 24 hour break between medication, however if I do this, he won't be able to be medicated with the kanaplex by Wednesday night at the earliest and I'm afraid that he won't make it by then. What should I do if he's still here by then?

You should try to do at least 3 doses of the current medication. If there's no improvement after 3 days with that medication, then flush the tank and try another.

You should also be wiping the inside of the tank down and replacing all the water before re-treating the tank with the current medication. (not sure if you are or not but you should)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back