Help ASAP please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Post pictures of the fish.

If you added new fish today and they are freaking out in the tank, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate now.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Don't add anything to the tank except dechlorinator and that should be added to the new water before it is added to the tank.

Post pictures of the fish.

If you added new fish today and they are freaking out in the tank, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate now.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Don't add anything to the tank except dechlorinator and that should be added to the new water before it is added to the tank.
I’m at work right now, and so if they’re still alive I can take out the gravel change the water and use the stress coat?

No need to remove the gravel, just use a gravel cleaner when you do your partial water change to get as much muck out as you can. Use one of these every time you change water, they're brilliant.
I agree, hold off on any other chemicals or remedies unless you are 100% positive that you have a definite disease. This is almost certainly a water quality problem so adding 'cures' is more likely to make things worse. As well as simply adding to the chemical load, most medicines have an adverse effect on the filter bacteria.
Poor water can cause fish to produce mucus and develop spots which are not actually parasites or diseases so don't need any treatment other than to correct the water problem but can fool us into thinking we need to treat the symptoms with something. Of course poor conditions CAN make fish susceptible to diseases so it's not always easy to tell the difference!

You don't need to remove the gravel to clean it. Just use a gravel cleaner and suck the gunk out of it when you do the water change. If you don't have a gravel cleaner, you can make one from a 1, 1.5 or 2 litre plastic drink bottle and a length of garden hose or clear hose.

Cut the bottom off the bottle and throw that bit away.
Remove the cap and plastic ring and throw those bits away.
Stick a garden hose in the top of the bottle and run the hose out the door or into a bucket.
Use the bottle to syphon water out of the tank and clean the gravel at the same time.

If you don't know how to use a gravel cleaner, google it or hop on YouTube.

No need to remove the gravel, just use a gravel cleaner when you do your partial water change to get as much muck out as you can. Use one of these every time you change water, they're brilliant.
I agree, hold off on any other chemicals or remedies unless you are 100% positive that you have a definite disease. This is almost certainly a water quality problem so adding 'cures' is more likely to make things worse. As well as simply adding to the chemical load, most medicines have an adverse effect on the filter bacteria.
Poor water can cause fish to produce mucus and develop spots which are not actually parasites or diseases so don't need any treatment other than to correct the water problem but can fool us into thinking we need to treat the symptoms with something. Of course poor conditions CAN make fish susceptible to diseases so it's not always easy to tell the difference!
They turned white and died :( only one is aLive

So sorry to hear about losing all your fish twice. If you tank is now empty of any living pets, then this might be a good time to think about taking it down, throwing out the old gravel, and disinfecting your tank. I have had to do this myself.

I used a 10% bleach to water. Use pure bleach and not bleach that has additives like fragrances. Get one of the empty spray bottles at Walmart, the one that has measurements of the side. Then figure out how much water you want to use and then add 10% of that volume in bleach.
After cleaning your tank then dry it good with paper towels, then spray the bleach mixture all over inside your tank. Wait for about fifteen minutes, but don't wait to long because bleach is corrosive and wash the tank out at least twice. While doing this, wear eye protection and gloves just to be safe.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about losing all your fish twice. If you tank is now empty of any living pets, then this might be a good time to think about taking it down, throwing out the old gravel, and disinfecting your tank. I have had to do this myself.
Going to use white sand and use fluval biological booster

Going to use white sand and use fluval biological booster

you still need to clean out your tank, because whatever has killed your fish twice so far will stick to the glass and any airline tubing etc that you have. Also, after you clean your tank, you have to begin a cycle from scratch if you are not saving the filter media, so be prepared for a 4-6week wait before adding new fish.

You should make every step of getting your aquarium up and ready for new pets a fun adventure. Many people don't do this, they are inpatient for fish, they want to rush through the whole process and just can't wait to have new fish. This take all the fun out of an aquarium from the beginning and when fish die, they are even more frustrated.

Me I enjoy the entire process from the start of setting up a new tank. I enjoy looking at what others have already done to get my ideas. My empty class tank will set there in my house for days before I even start, while I enjoy working out how and what I want. Once I have it all figured out and ready to put together, that is so much fun for me to move on to the next step. Shopping for what I want, considering which substrate for what type of critters I want, etc. It is like my own personal Christmas shopping.

Cycling the tank is also fun as the wonders of nature unfold before my eyes, testing the water every day to watch as my cycle progresses.

Once it is cycled and I feel it is safe, then the real fun begins, studying the which new pets will live and thrive in my new aquarium, taking my time to make sure they are compatible with my new tank water conditions and with each other.

When it is all finished I feel good about myself for doing the best I can to provide a safe happy home for my new pets.

Going to use white sand
White sand is not good for fish, they prefer a darker sand.
The fish we keep come from water with a dark bottom. That's why they are dark when we look down on then, so predators can't see them properly over the dark bottom. Fish expect something darker under them.
White also reflects light upwards into the water, again something fish don't like.

I personally like Tetra Safe Start Plus - it establishes the right bacteria immediately, truly amazing. It also works as a declorinator

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back