HELP: Am I having "New fish" anxiety?

Jennifer_R

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:D I reserved two Kribensis from the exotic fish store I love, on Friday (8/6) I picked them up: one male one female.

Unfortunately the Fresh Water Staff went home for the day (it was 4:30 PM when I arrived; they close at 8:00 PM). Only Salt Water Staff was on hand, and I asked him to make sure the Kribensis I reserved five days earlier were a male and a female.

Salt Water Staff said,
"They are still small, it's hard to tell their markings, but *I think* I picked a male and a female for you. *If they end up fighting in your 10 gal tank, bring one back and we'll exchange it."
*Bonus sales pitch; I appreciated that! ;)

The Kribensis were medium sized! Markings should be apparent at 3-and-a-quarter inches in length! :sly:

:/ OK- eeek, now I'm looking at the fish in the bag. One defiantly looks female the other is shaped like a Kribensis, but doesn’t have the dark body line markings. This "other" fish had a more fainted pattern of round spots running along his body, and the fins weren't orange tipped, but a faint florescent yellow. (I don't have a digital camera to give you guys a good look).

:-( The two have been in my 10 gal tank for two (2) days:
-They have a "cave" at either end of the 10 gal tank, as well as much plant cover.
-I feed them a mix blood worms, brine shrimp, and flake everyday. I see the blood worms gone later when I check on them, but the brine are still uneaten.
-I rarely see them eat unless the food falls into their caves.
-I haven't seen them move from their caves.

I've have Kribensis before, in a large 100 gal community tank, and they bred baby’s. Also, the Kribensis moved about the tank, checking things out all the time! (I don't have the 100 gal anymore - that was a "break-up" give up).
Now I have new Kribensis in a 10 gal, one *I don't think* is a Kribensis; they don't eat much, and they don't move.

FYI: I bought two Rams on Monday (8/2) and their fine as h*ll! B) Living it up in their 18 gal tank!

Any advice?

Thanks,
~Jen

if you have more then one cichlid in a tank it should be at least 50 gal, if you have any smaller then you will have problems, it sounds to me like they have made their territory and are sticking to it. it sounds like your lps needs to ask people what kind of conditions the fish are going into before they sell fish to people.

it should be fine. Kribs will lose that dark colored strip along their bodies if theyr'e stressed. i remember when i took mine home, and peeked at them while they were in the bags i wonder if i had gotten the right fish! they were all pale and had no dark black stripes -_- it came back a few days later :)

i dont' know if a 10g would be too small for kribs to breed :/ i think it might be since they do need quite a bit of room if you want to keep the fry. Also you'll need some kind of dither fish (such as danios) for them to chase around to apread out the aggression.

kribs are very shy fish though, i still have problems getting mine to come out and eat, i just have to leave the food in the tank and hope they get to it :sad:

personally, mine will only eat bloodworms, brine shrimp they see it as garbage, same goes with flakes :shifty: it coudl take them a few weeks to settle down before thinking about breeding.

dead_slade said:
if you have more then one cichlid in a tank it should be at least 50 gal, if you have any smaller then you will have problems, it sounds to me like they have made their territory and are sticking to it. it sounds like your lps needs to ask people what kind of conditions the fish are going into before they sell fish to people.
It's well known that if two Kribs are in a 10 gal tank it is a good breeding ground. Otherwise I would have not chosen such a tank. Kribs are a medium Cichlid, and will be ok with their sides of the tanks. I understand your point, I do, but I have done research on the 10 gal breeder before I made the choice.
When the female gets aggressive after they spawn, I am prepared to take the male out; as advised in my research.

Thank you for your concern!
~Jen

cutecotton said:
it should be fine. Kribs will lose that dark colored strip along their bodies if theyr'e stressed. i remember when i took mine home, and peeked at them while they were in the bags i wonder if i had gotten the right fish! they were all pale and had no dark black stripes -_- it came back a few days later :)

i dont' know if a 10g would be too small for kribs to breed :/ i think it might be since they do need quite a bit of room if you want to keep the fry. Also you'll need some kind of dither fish (such as danios) for them to chase around to apread out the aggression.

kribs are very shy fish though, i still have problems getting mine to come out and eat, i just have to leave the food in the tank and hope they get to it :sad:

personally, mine will only eat bloodworms, brine shrimp they see it as garbage, same goes with flakes :shifty: it coudl take them a few weeks to settle down before thinking about breeding.
Cool! B)

Excelent advice! I will get a few dynos or sm tetras to help the Kribs get moving.

I have seen the brine shrimp is not a well liked food for the Kribs, so thank you, I will discontinue feeding them brine shrimp!

~Jen

good luck :D

:sad: as with my kribs, i had 30 fry last night, tonight i checked up again on mommy and there were only 6 left :grr:!!! i have NO idea what hapepned becuase only platties were in the tank and the mom would certainly kick butt if they came close. I suspect they decided to munch on the fry.

I wanted to take them out and raise them myself, but dear god it was hard to catch them! so i gave up and hope that i'll have mybe 2 left tmr :(

anywas :D enough hijacking of your thread :whistle:

Hey cc! I think the fry are only in the parents mouths :nod: don't wry! I thought my kribs ate all their fry but they emerged l8er coming outta daddeee's mouth! well........ gl to you cc and you jenn

I Bought (3) Golden Harlequin Rasbora for the 10 gal Krib tank. I saw the female Kri move about; I think adding the little fishes helped get the Kribs moving! Thanks for the advice!
~Jen

Jennifer_R said:
dead_slade said:
It's well known that if two Kribs are in a 10 gal tank it is a good breeding ground.
Sorry, I have to disagree. I don't think there is even room for grown kribs in a 10gallon never mind to have it as a breeding tank for semi-aggressive cichlids. I bred mine in a 20gallon and even then I had major problems with the male attacking the female (and yes, there were dithers) and she had to be removed. I have 2 pairs of kribs and I also have a 10 gallon tank, I would never put my adult kribs in it, there's not enough room for them never mind the other factors.

I do not think 50gallons is necessary but I would say that 20 be the minimum.

Hope it goes well for you.

i agree with cheese. 10g is far too small for a pair of kribs (yes i have tried it)

20g would be my choice (minimum) for a breeding tank

Jennifer_R said:
gixer said:
i agree with cheese. 10g is far too small for a pair of kribs (yes i have tried it)

20g would be my choice (minimum) for a breeding tank
10 gal is all I have; so far so good.
~Jen
Alright…

Change!

The Krib with the different markings (spots rather than a define body line, and more yellow fin tips) has been head up behind the filter tube or the behind the heater. Sometimes this Krib will hide in the plants out in the open. Or behind the cave-foliage where the female hides.

I have not seen the Kribs fight. I see the "Female" Krib (I say female because it definitely has the markings of a female Krib) hide in a cave.

What is going on here? I'm thinking of taking the "scared" Krib back; as suggested by the IFS, if they fight. I feel this is a fighting situation.

I cannot put them in a bigger tank as many of you have posted, so I must work with the 10 gal I have; as I have heard is good breeding ground for Kribs. (I stand by the 10 gal breeding).

~Jen

have you got pictures?
sounds like a terrified young male to me probarbly having a hard time from the female, lets face it. he cant really get away from her in their either :S

whatever you have read about using a 10g for krib breading is probarbly written by someone who moves them around a lot. they will have already paired up etc.. and they wont be kept in this tank 24/7

still not ideal.

A female krib will harrass a male to death if she doesnt accept him as a mate and in a tank so small it wont take long.

can you post some pictures?

Most reactions

Back