Help a gal brand new to Killifish out!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ok! I’m leaning towards the gardneri but, yes, my tank will be heavily planted! Could I do 2 females and 1 male?
It is better to keep only one pair per tank, as the males can get very aggressive towards each other. I suggest getting one male and one female.

Ok! I’m leaning towards the gardneri but, yes, my tank will be heavily planted! Could I do 2 females and 1 male?
You could do, but the problem is that 2 may bond and leave and even harm the red fish , I'm not saying it cant be done, it certainly can however stay cautious and just watch your tank to make sure it's in the clear good thing is that if the male ever decides to be aggressive, the aggression is split between the 2 females rather than focused on just 1

You could do, but the problem is that 2 may bond and leave and even harm the red fish , I'm not saying it cant be done, it certainly can however stay cautious and just watch your tank to make sure it's in the clear
I don’t suggest doing this, but if you did, make sure you have another plan for your tank mates if it doesn’t work out. :good:

Most killifish will live for 12-24 months. Nothobranchius species and
Epiplatys annulatus usually live for 1 year, the other Epiplaty species and Aphyosemium species will live for 1-2 years.

If you keep the water cool (22-24C) for a few months they live longer. If you keep them in warm water (26C+), they age faster.

-----------------------
You can keep 2-6 killifish (species dependant) in a tank that is 18 inches long. Up to 10 adults in a tank that is 2 foot long.

Don't keep killifish with other species like tetras or barbs because the killifish don't do as well.

Killifish will be fine with snails, shrimp and most bottom dwellers. However, bottom dwelling species might eat the killifish eggs that are regularly laid in the substrate.

Most people keep killifish in single species tanks so they can breed and they can keep the species going.

Most killifish will live for 12-24 months. Nothobranchius species and
Epiplatys annulatus usually live for 1 year, the other Epiplaty species and Aphyosemium species will live for 1-2 years.

If you keep the water cool (22-24C) for a few months they live longer. If you keep them in warm water (26C+), they age faster.

-----------------------
You can keep 2-6 killifish (species dependant) in a tank that is 18 inches long. Up to 10 adults in a tank that is 2 foot long.

Don't keep killifish with other species like tetras or barbs because the killifish don't do as well.

Killifish will be fine with snails, shrimp and most bottom dwellers. However, bottom dwelling species might eat the killifish eggs that are regularly laid in the substrate.

Most people keep killifish in single species tanks so they can breed and they can keep the species going.
Thank you! Now I need to find where to buy these fish - they’re seemingly all out of stock online. Any help with that?

@newmag1659 Killifish are really no different than any other tropical fish. Their breeding habits are a bit different. They lay a few eggs almost all the time rather than one large spawn all at once. There are two very distinct types. One type is the true annual like the African Nothobranchius group and the South American Austrolebias which includes the Argentine Pearlfish. The true annuals are all soil spawners which deposit their eggs into the substrate. These eggs lay dormant when the temporary pools they live in dry up and then hatch out the next rainy season.
The other type includes Aphyosemion, Fundulopanchax, Aplocheilus , Epiplatys and others. These are all plant spawners and have life spans similar to a Betta.
All Killifish are extremely colorful and rival many marine fish. The tank you describe sounds perfect for any of the plant spawners. Fundulopanchax gardneri are a good fish to start with but I must warn you about something I learned the hard way. Males are very hard on the females. The spawning urge causes them to drive the females to exhaustion. There are two remedies to this. If you use the artificial spawning mop method of breeding keep the sexes separate and put them together to breed for a day or two then separate them again. If you prefer to breed them in your planted tank then have three males and four or five females. The males will spawn with the harem and they will also rumble with each other for territory thus giving the females a break. Resulting fry can be scooped out with a turkey baster when they appear. Fry raised this way are said to be more robust and healthy. Also, less work. Another very easy Killifish to breed is the Golden Wonder (Aplocheilus lineatus). They get over three inches and can be quite predatory. Most Killifish can be kept as community fish but I prefer species only tanks as it seems to make natures way easier. Good luck.

@newmag1659 Killifish are really no different than any other tropical fish. Their breeding habits are a bit different. They lay a few eggs almost all the time rather than one large spawn all at once. There are two very distinct types. One type is the true annual like the African Nothobranchius group and the South American Austrolebias which includes the Argentine Pearlfish. The true annuals are all soil spawners which deposit their eggs into the substrate. These eggs lay dormant when the temporary pools they live in dry up and then hatch out the next rainy season.
The other type includes Aphyosemion, Fundulopanchax, Aplocheilus , Epiplatys and others. These are all plant spawners and have life spans similar to a Betta.
All Killifish are extremely colorful and rival many marine fish. The tank you describe sounds perfect for any of the plant spawners. Fundulopanchax gardneri are a good fish to start with but I must warn you about something I learned the hard way. Males are very hard on the females. The spawning urge causes them to drive the females to exhaustion. There are two remedies to this. If you use the artificial spawning mop method of breeding keep the sexes separate and put them together to breed for a day or two then separate them again. If you prefer to breed them in your planted tank then have three males and four or five females. The males will spawn with the harem and they will also rumble with each other for territory thus giving the females a break. Resulting fry can be scooped out with a turkey baster when they appear. Fry raised this way are said to be more robust and healthy. Also, less work. Another very easy Killifish to breed is the Golden Wonder (Aplocheilus lineatus). They get over three inches and can be quite predatory. Most Killifish can be kept as community fish but I prefer species only tanks as it seems to make natures way easier. Good luck.
Thank you for such an in-depth response! My only issue now is finding somewhere to buy them (the gardneris)! The only place I've found so far is two hours away and they still might not have any. Should I buy eggs on ebay? Where the heck can I find some live? The only place online I could find was arizona aquatic gardens and they are out of stock.

@newmag1659 Yes you do have to be a paid member of the American Killifish Association to enjoy certain benefits. You get the quarterly Journal of the American Killifish Association (JAKA) , the Beginners Guide and access to the members fish and egg listings. Well worth the modest $35 annual dues. Also, check out The American Killifish Associations Killifish Lounge on Facebook. There's a lot of good information there as well as pictures and videos. If you do Aquabid look for a guy doing business as Fishguy1955. This man is extremely knowledgeable and trustworthy. He has been an AKA member for decades. He has lots of fish and eggs of many kinds and is sorta close to you. Good luck.

@newmag1659 Yes you do have to be a paid member of the American Killifish Association to enjoy certain benefits. You get the quarterly Journal of the American Killifish Association (JAKA) , the Beginners Guide and access to the members fish and egg listings. Well worth the modest $35 annual dues. Also, check out The American Killifish Associations Killifish Lounge on Facebook. There's a lot of good information there as well as pictures and videos. If you do Aquabid look for a guy doing business as Fishguy1955. This man is extremely knowledgeable and trustworthy. He has been an AKA member for decades. He has lots of fish and eggs of many kinds and is sorta close to you. Good luck.
Ok! I'll look into the American Killifish Association - I saw something about new members getting fish?

Yes ! New members get a free pair of beginner fish. I don't know what they are but that's a good deal. Another place to look is with Sarah Walker. E-mail [email protected] She is on the board of AKA and she sells fish too. If she don't have it she can find it ! Another place is Dan's Fish but he's pricey and not much selection. Tell Sarah that member # 10659 sent you. She is awesome. Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back