Hello! Question on if my fish has Ick or not?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Lhat757

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Logan and I am fairly new to fish keeping (been about 6 months since my first fish and tank) I recently got a new 20 gallon tank and allowed to cycle for a good month and a half including starter bacteria and fish food occasionally to get ammonia spikes and then see if the nitrates/trites were present. Everything has tested fine. I had 3 gold x-ray tetras and recently bought 3 more to allow them to better shoal. It looks like one of them (I think he was from the fist batch) has ick but I’m not completely sure. I’m attaching a picture and asking if you could let me know if I’m right or not?

Thanks in advance and any treatment tips if it is would be awesome!

Attachments

• FF302721-FACE-49ED-92E8-847BD54EBFCC.jpeg
    FF302721-FACE-49ED-92E8-847BD54EBFCC.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 8DF58A46-6E6D-41FF-B854-B2CA6513D5E9.jpeg
    8DF58A46-6E6D-41FF-B854-B2CA6513D5E9.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 43
Yeah, that's ick.

Best way to treat is increasing tank temperature. See following excerpt:

It is recommended to increase the temperature to at least 86 degrees (30 celcius) from its current state. It is not recommended to exceed 90 degrees (32 degrees celcius). Most tropical fish will be able to withstand temperatures around 86 degrees for shorter periods of time. Ensure your species are able to cope with temperatures this high before proceeding.

It is recommended to increase the temperature by no more than 2 degrees every twelve hours. When your desired temperature is reached it should be left at this level for at least 2 weeks. After this time period, slowly reduce the temperature back down to its normal state.

Yup, increase temp and aeration. That should kill the ick off

Thank you all for the quick responses! I do have a Kuhli loach in the tank with the tetras, will he be alright with this temperature increase. Also if I increase the flow of my filter this will increase the aeration, correct?

They'll do fine, they (kuhli) can even live in that temperature actually. Just make sure you "ramp it up" slowly instead of a quick crank to your heater, and yes, increasing the water flow, and adding a bubbler if you have it, will help with the oxygenation while the water is warmer.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back