Hello, i have returned

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

It had to do with him not propely cycling his stocked tank which ending in his losing 60% of his fish.
This thread from a few months ago confirms this.
I am trying to prove I'm capable of keeping fish happy, even if I made mistakes I'm the past.

Your tank eventually cycled after you lost many fish. The remaining fish survived once tank finished cycling. We all have made mistakes during fish keeping. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and not repeat them.

Your tank eventually cycled after you lost many fish. The remaining fish survived once tank finished cycling. We all have made mistakes during fish keeping. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and not repeat them.
This is true and I have learned that patience is key to keeping any organism alive

A LOT of mistakes can be avoided by using the Internet and doing searches. As to fish I would look here first for followups as I have grown to respect the advice given but only after doing some initial research on my own.

Still I also have a cockatiel that, at times, I try to get to eat fresh stuff instead of just his seed mix.. Sigh, so far, the only success I've had has been shredded carrots and mango but the point is that I was thinking about trying avocado. Fortunately I researched on-line first and found that the stuff is VERY toxic to the bird. If I had just tried the avocado without doing the research my bird from Hades would most likely be dead if he had eaten even a small amount. It is funny in a way as to what things will and won't work with different animals. Another toxin for my bird is apples. The meat of the apple is fine but the seeds are quite toxic.

While most of the above is dealing with research as to my bird it also applies to aquariums. For instance I would never introduce a new fish without researching the needed water parameters to make sure my tank is OK for the new fish and if it would get along with my current fish. Sure I said that I respect advice here and could just ask if a fish will be OK but I find it more rewarding to do my own research and, if I'm not sure on something, then ask here. I just find it more satisfying to do my own research initially instead of just falling back and relying on others without even making an attempt myself. Also I tend to find it normal that when doing research on one topic I end up learning a lot of side things that I didn't even know were questions until I saw the info.

A LOT of mistakes can be avoided by using the Internet and doing searches. As to fish I would look here first for followups as I have grown to respect the advice given but only after doing some initial research on my own.

Still I also have a cockatiel that, at times, I try to get to eat fresh stuff instead of just his seed mix.. Sigh, so far, the only success I've had has been shredded carrots and mango but the point is that I was thinking about trying avocado. Fortunately I researched on-line first and found that the stuff is VERY toxic to the bird. If I had just tried the avocado without doing the research my bird from Hades would most likely be dead if he had eaten even a small amount. It is funny in a way as to what things will and won't work with different animals. Another toxin for my bird is apples. The meat of the apple is fine but the seeds are quite toxic.

While most of the above is dealing with research as to my bird it also applies to aquariums. For instance I would never introduce a new fish without researching the needed water parameters to make sure my tank is OK for the new fish and if it would get along with my current fish. Sure I said that I respect advice here and could just ask if a fish will be OK but I find it more rewarding to do my own research and, if I'm not sure on something, then ask here. I just find it more satisfying to do my own research initially instead of just falling back and relying on others without even making an attempt myself. Also I tend to find it normal that when doing research on one topic I end up learning a lot of side things that I didn't even know were questions until I saw the info.
Thankyou for this advice, I won't forget this

It takes time to learn. Then most of us have unlearning moments and relearning moments - onwards we go. Once you get it down though, it's like riding a bike.

I am trying to prove I'm capable of keeping fish happy, even if I made mistakes I'm the past.
was it your first tank?
I lost 2 tanks full of fish at first because of various problems, and I am still having major problems frequently...
after all, I've only kept fish for 2 years...

Your fish may be doing OK but your palnts have a major algae issue. Eventually it will kill the anubias if not taken care of properly. Anubias are not true aquatic plants. They grow along side waterfalls and rapids where they get water from the spray and can attache to the rocks alongside there areas. They do not seem to know they are sugnmerged and continue to do OK but they grow slower under water.

The algae will cover the leaves and cut of their light and they will eventually die. Here is my 150 filled with large anubuias. Notice how my leaves look compared to yours.
150tank1.jpg

Your fish may be doing OK but your palnts have a major algae issue. Eventually it will kill the anubias if not taken care of properly. Anubias are not true aquatic plants. They grow along side waterfalls and rapids where they get water from the spray and can attache to the rocks alongside there areas. They do not seem to know they are sugnmerged and continue to do OK but they grow slower under water.

The algae will cover the leaves and cut of their light and they will eventually die. Here is my 150 filled with large anubuias. Notice how my leaves look compared to yours.
View attachment 313962
I wouldn't worry. The algae in your photo (early in the thread) is less than what I have in some of my tanks, and I have 20 year plus Anubias plants. I'm always giving Anubias away because I get too much.

Well GaryE, we will just have to disagree on this. I have not purchased a new anubias in close to 20 years. I have populated a lot of tanks from my cuttings over the years as well. I have lost anubias to algae because I did not deal with it. I have had to give away other plants which outgrew tanks. Anubias can be cut and made into multiple plants

So only time will tell for the OP. If you are correct he will only have not so nice looking plants. If I am right he will start losing leaves over time.

Soft algae and diatoms are easy to manage on anubias leaves, but the hard stuff does not rub.brush off. You must usually bleach dip the plants to kill it.

View attachment 313962
I had some old leaves with algae on them, and with a good scrub with 2 fingers algae comes off

Well GaryE, we will just have to disagree on this. I have not purchased a new anubias in close to 20 years. I have populated a lot of tanks from my cuttings over the years as well. I have lost anubias to algae because I did not deal with it. I have had to give away other plants which outgrew tanks. Anubias can be cut and made into multiple plants

So only time will tell for the OP. If you are correct he will only have not so nice looking plants. If I am right he will start losing leaves over time.

Soft algae and diatoms are easy to manage on anubias leaves, but the hard stuff does not rub.brush off. You must usually bleach dip the plants to kill it.
What product should I dip my anibius in?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back