Hello I have an algae issue

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ronoc

Reaction score
So I have this algae problem. I have attached some photos. It is like black hair. I have cleaned it all off but it just keeps coming back. It is a recent phenomena just arrived a few months ago.
How can I get rid of it?
Nay help gratefully received.
Conor

Attachments

• fish 2.jpg
    fish 2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 93
  • fish 1.jpg
    fish 1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 70
  • fish 3.jpg
    fish 3.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 87
Algae usually results from an imbalance in lighting and nutrients based on what your plants are using. Try experimenting with those. You can reduce your lighting to maybe 8 hours a day. Reduce feeding as excess food causes algae. Add some floaters like frogbit to suck up excess nutrients. You can also add some algae eaters like dwarf shrimp and nerites. I'm not sure what exactly that algae is, but that's general advice that has helped me tackle my algae problems.

Some of your algae looks like mats of Blue Green Algae, actually a cyanobacteria, I have recently had some of this myself, much to my dismay. For me it was light and nutrient based, I reduced the lighting, cleaned the tank more thoroughly including vacuuming the aquarium soil (I don't have much experience with aquarium soil). I also manually removed all the algae from the plant leaves and worked on reducing the amount I feed my fish. I have a few picky eaters and I had been feeding them more to ensure they are eating enough. I still have some algae in one tank but much less, and it isn't spreading as fast. The procedure I am following is remove the exposed mats, do a water change of about 50% focusing on removing waste from the substrate and the stuff floating, reduce the lighting and feeding by 20%. My treatments have worked in my tanks but I did not have as much algae as you have. The manual removal seemed to help the most, it comes off the leaves easily, if it doesn't then it might not be blue green algae.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back