Heatwave!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EllRog

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Anyone else in the UK running around their house today monitoring tank temperatures? I've got my sponge filters turned up, all doors and windows open and poor Kev the koi betta in a jar. His tank was reading at 86F when I rushed in from work! Bloody nightmare!

I've kept the curtains drawn in the rooms with tanks and removed lids and have fans blowing across the surface to encourage evaporation/cooling. Has kept the tanks at 80 so far.

I've kept the curtains drawn in the rooms with tanks and removed lids and have fans blowing across the surface to encourage evaporation/cooling. Has kept the tanks at 80 so far.
Well played! I cant remove lids cos all my fish are jumpers! All the fish are at room temp with aeration but still over 29°. Poor little Kev

Attachments

• 20200731_152018.jpg
    20200731_152018.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 42
Well played! I cant remove lids cos all my fish are jumpers! All the fish are at room temp with aeration but still over 29°. Poor little Kev
Is that a quarantine set up he's in?

I've heard that floating plants discourage jumping, but I don't know how true that is. I have floating plants on all the tanks, and just decided that getting too hot was more of a risk than mine jumping. Do you have any chicken wire or other kind of mesh lying around that you could use to allow air exchange but stop a jumper?

Is that a quarantine set up he's in?

I've heard that floating plants discourage jumping, but I don't know how true that is. I have floating plants on all the tanks, and just decided that getting too hot was more of a risk than mine jumping. Do you have any chicken wire or other kind of mesh lying around that you could use to allow air exchange but stop a jumper?
It's literally a large nutella jar :rofl: my quarantine tanks are full at the moment and even then, they're reading 29° which is 84F. His tank was reading 86F so I scooped him out and put him in the jar under my sorority with an airline tube into it for some turbulence. Hoping it won't be too long until it cools down enough to return him to his tank, he doesn't know what to do with his coconut hut! I have salvinia in my sorority, but my plakats still try and jump so I dont trust it lol, they might just be little cows though! I've got some mesh kicking around, I'll see what I can knock up, I'll be left with no choice if it gets any hotter! Hope your little fishies are doing well!?

Anyone else in the UK running around their house today monitoring tank temperatures? I've got my sponge filters turned up, all doors and windows open and poor Kev the koi betta in a jar. His tank was reading at 86F when I rushed in from work! Bloody nightmare!

In my experience it's best to leave the windows shut and the curtains closed, where the curtains backing are light in colour.

Our downstairs lobby was cool until my parents just came back and opened the door and left it open letting all the outside heat in...

It's literally a large nutella jar :rofl: my quarantine tanks are full at the moment and even then, they're reading 29° which is 84F. His tank was reading 86F so I scooped him out and put him in the jar under my sorority with an airline tube into it for some turbulence. Hoping it won't be too long until it cools down enough to return him to his tank, he doesn't know what to do with his coconut hut! I have salvinia in my sorority, but my plakats still try and jump so I dont trust it lol, they might just be little cows though! I've got some mesh kicking around, I'll see what I can knock up, I'll be left with no choice if it gets any hotter! Hope your little fishies are doing well!?
Temps are meant to drop from 90 today to 70/high 60s over the weekend, so should be better! Maybe some water changes with ever so slightly cooler water will help in the meantime? I'm wary of doing that though since stability is so important, so maybe don't take my advice!

Yep, my fish are fine so far thank you! They're normally at 78-79, so they've probably not really noticed the difference. Hope your bettas ride this out okay!

Fish will be fine as its only for a few days. If you try to cool them they will only go up again. I'm just leaving mine as I think too warm for a few days is better than up and down all the time. All at around 29 ATM - although I did water changes on 3 of them this morning as its Friday ;).

Remember we advise to go above 30 for ich treatment.

Glad I have central air/heat. It’s 84F in Texas at 9:30 A.M. and expected to be 90F high today which is actually low for this time of year in Texas. My fear is always hurricanes. We get one about every 10-15 years but you lose power for a couple of weeks. Always in September which is still hot in Texas. Best of luck to all of you experiencing this heat wave. :)

In my experience it's best to leave the windows shut and the curtains closed, where the curtains backing are light in colour.

Our downstairs lobby was cool until my parents just came back and opened the door and left it open letting all the outside heat in...
I tried that and noticed the heat increasing, I don't think I can win! Just have to do my best at keeping them cool enough and monitoring them. Other than Kev being unhappy about being in a jar, all the other fish seem to be doing well and enjoying the extra turbulence to swim in lol. I put an extra air stone in the sorority and they're loving it so hopefully I can keep them all happy

Temps are meant to drop from 90 today to 70/high 60s over the weekend, so should be better! Maybe some water changes with ever so slightly cooler water will help in the meantime? I'm wary of doing that though since stability is so important, so maybe don't take my advice!

Yep, my fish are fine so far thank you! They're normally at 78-79, so they've probably not really noticed the difference. Hope your bettas ride this out okay!
Hahah can't come quick enough! Glad all your fish are doing okay. I'm a nervous wreck with these sorts of things!

Fish will be fine as its only for a few days. If you try to cool them they will only go up again. I'm just leaving mine as I think too warm for a few days is better than up and down all the time. All at around 29 ATM - although I did water changes on 3 of them this morning as its Friday ;).

Remember we advise to go above 30 for ich treatment.
I know, I know, I just worry lol! Thank you for the reassurance though, I'm sure they'll be fine haha

Glad I have central air/heat. It’s 84F in Texas at 9:30 A.M. and expected to be 90F high today which is actually low for this time of year in Texas. My fear is always hurricanes. We get one about every 10-15 years but you lose power for a couple of weeks. Always in September which is still hot in Texas. Best of luck to all of you experiencing this heat wave. :)
I don't envy you! I cant deal with heat, threat of hurricanes or power cuts lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back