Heating up New Water

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I do like @Archerfish . I age my water in a 44 gallon container and put my big 150 watt Eheim in it a day before. Something I heard once is that slime and disease stuff grows in hot water heaters and the person I heard this from never cooks in hot water from the tap , instead drawing cold water and heating it up on the stove. I tend to believe this. The hot water heater never gets cleaned out and nobody runs enough hot water to flush it regularly and the water does not boil or get hot enough to kill bad organisms. Think what you want about that but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

The reason you don't want to use the water from water heaters to cook/drink is mineral deposits & rust, not slime or disease...most water heaters in the States use anode tubes to delay the internal rusting of the heater itself (you can add additional anode tubes prior to installation, to extend your warranty), but they all eventually rust...slime & disease usually aren't present inside the lining modern water heaters.

And for the record, it's "water heater", not "hot water heater"...why heat hot water?*

*Sorry, another one of my OCD pet peeves

In all my 30 years of fish keeping I have used a mix of hot and cold water. I have never even heard of issues doing this in NA, but I understand some heating units in the UK do pose issues. But any mineral (rust ?) should not be in sufficient quantity to harm fish and plants, and with plants may even benefit.

In all my 30 years of fish keeping I have used a mix of hot and cold water. I have never even heard of issues doing this in NA, but I understand some heating units in the UK do pose issues. But any mineral (rust ?) should not be in sufficient quantity to harm fish and plants, and with plants may even benefit.
Okay @Byron , like I said , think what you want but if you are secure in the knowledge that all is well inside something that you can't see the inside of then go for it. For the most part they are probably perfectly safe but don't come crying to me when expensive fish kick the bucket.

Lol, I have a few tanks; the larger being two 75, three 120, and one 125. We use gravity to empty the tanks and the python to fill. When I empty I will go 75 to 80% with gravel cleaning. Now we don't usually do all the big tanks at once, but alternate every other weekend. It's still a considerable amount of water.

I do have a RODI for my four 5 gallon wild Betta tanks, my 6 gallon tiger shrimp tank and for the Mistking system set up on my box turtle's enclosure. Also for my carnivorous plant terrarium and my/Sister's orchids.

The 33 gallon brackish tank gets a WC one a month and LFS bought SW is mixed with tap to the right salinity. The 10 gallon Badis tank, 20 gallons pangio loach tank and 40B gallon river tank get WC every other week or every 2 weeks as the 10 gallon has 3 Badis in it and nothing else.

For the record, water changing for me is about 200 gallons, and even without a bad back that would be a few 5 gallon buckets and heaters....
lol I thought about that after I posted "just drop a heater in a bucket" lol

My MTS hasn't grown that large to require anything but 5-gallon buckets to get the job done with a little sweat

If im just doing my weekly water change the I do as @PewPewChris said, add the conditioner to a 25 litre bottle, fill up with cold water from my tap and throw a spare heater in it for a couple of days, however if im doing an extreme clean / water change,, like 50% of my water, its a 240 litre tank by the way so you're talking 120 litre change then for every 25 litre bottle of water I add 3 kettles of boiling water from the kettle to the bottle, give it a shake to mix it with the cold, in comes in at a perfect 25oC, treat it with seachem prime and then tip it straight into the tank.

My hot water storage tank is lined with stainless steel. I mix hot and cold water directly from the tap to fill my tank with the python. I guage the proper temp by feel and am never off by more than 2 degrees. Works for me and my fish tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back