Heaters

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

pauladair1994

Reaction score
i have a 4ft by 18 inch high by 12 inch deep tank wat size of heater would use recomend

200-300w? someone back me on that...

i have a 4ft by 18 inch high by 12 inch deep tank wat size of heater would use recomend
I'd probs go with 2 150watt heaters. reason for this is if one fails you have backup. i have at least 2 in all of my tanks, for the £20 sommet they cost they're deffo worth it
Note this is guessing your tanks around 150 -180 litres roughtly.

I'd probs go with 2 150watt heaters. reason for this is if one fails you have backup. i have at least 2 in all of my tanks, for the £20 sommet they cost they're deffo worth it

Yep I second this one
good.gif
, and have been using 2 heaters ever since I learnt the hard way
angry.gif
! Only other thing to take into consideration is where the tank is. i.e. If your tank is in a nice warm room the heaters won't need to work very hard to keep the temp up, but if your tank is in a cold room or garage then you will need more watts.

Yep I second this one
good.gif
angry.gif
! Only other thing to take into consideration is where the tank is. i.e. If your tank is in a nice warm room the heaters won't need to work very hard to keep the temp up, but if your tank is in a cold room or garage then you will need more watts.

Following on from this, is it a good idea to have the two heaters set a couple of degrees apart from each other ? Im thinking if one of them can do the necessary work why have them both on. But then another voice is saying "more hands make light work, and with two working they would be on for less time, and also one would not become redundant or more prone to failure from not coming on as much". Any thoughts on the logic (or lack thereof) ? hehe.

Yep I second this one
good.gif
angry.gif

Following on from this, is it a good idea to have the two heaters set a couple of degrees apart from each other ? Im thinking if one of them can do the necessary work why have them both on. But then another voice is saying "more hands make light work, and with two working they would be on for less time, and also one would not become redundant or more prone to failure from not coming on as much". Any thoughts on the logic (or lack thereof) ? hehe.
Personally I have both thermostats balanced, so they come on and switch off simultaneously. I have them situated at opposite ends of the tank, and that way you get nice even water heating, rather than a hot spot at one end. This also suits my set-up, as due to the fish I have(which dislike a lot of water flow) my tank water is quite still and so a lone heater would tend to create more heat at one end than the other. This is just my opinion, and I think whatever makes you feel confident is the way to go.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back