Heater

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ToriGibson

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm a new betta owner. I've been keeping my betta in a one gallon tank and I feel like an idiot for purchasing it now that I've read in forums that bettas need about 2.5 gallons and I do not have the money to get a larger tank at the moment. However, I did have the money to recently purchase my betta a heater and a thermometer for the tank.

The heater isn't estimated to arrive until Monday the 5th and I'm very worried about my betta because he's been living in water that I know is too cold for him. Do you think he'll be okay for the next 5 days without the heater? Do you think adding a heater to his environment will be stressful for him? I just want to make him the happiest fish I can.

Here's a picture of my teeny baby:
12009787_1059048267439079_2594603210606032070_n.jpg

Hi,

Firstly well done for holding up your hands and admitting you made a mistake and you're now trying to do the right thing, which is good.

However even 2.5 gallons is too small in my opinion and if you can I'd advise getting larger than that.

They are a tropical fish and yes they do need warm water and good quality water.  You may find he survives but will be more susceptible to disease until he is in heated water.

Do as much reading on them as you can to enable you to help him have a long and happy life.

Hi Tori,
Congratulations on your new fish. Yes, your new buddie will be happier (and easier to care for) in a larger tank but he'll be ok in his one gallon home until you are able to upgrade, so please don't worry. You are already doing very well by him, coming on forums to learn how to care for him.
More important than a specific temperature is to avoid rapid large changes in temperature - especially increases. What is the room temperature where you have his tank? Does the temperature change often or a lot? Make sure his home isn't near a sunny window or air conditioning system vent.

Thank you for researching bettas to make sure yours is happy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

But if you really want to give him the best area, and not spend much, a 10-gallon tank is the REAL way to go. Since it's industry standard, they're one of the cheapest to set up. Most 2.5 gallon tanks are still brand-specific, so they are in various shapes, and parts for one may not fit another. Five gallon tanks do have the basic rectangle available, but even some of those can be different from each other. Another good advantage to a 10-gallon tank is that you can VERY often find them in thrift stores - or at least the parts. So far I've gotten 4 air pumps, a metal stand for 10-gallons, about a dozen air stones, different lengths of airline tubing, tons of gravel in different colors, and two actual ten-gallon tanks in just one thrift store near me. And a third 10-gallon tank I found on the side of the street in someone's trash pile, and it doesn't leak at all!

So I'd definitely shoot for a 10-gallon aquarium. Your betta will be happy, and you could probably put some zebra danios in with him too.

Hi
Nice betta tank you got there a d a beautiful betta face! Love them!

Dun worry.. do the best u can..

All the best!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back