Heater

lilacamy931

Starting again
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
3,475
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Bournemouth, UK
I live in sunny Ol' England (and it really is at the moment), the temp is meant to be around the 30 degree mark this week.

The tanks at the moment have been around 27 degrees in the humidity. Do I risk turning the heaters of? My main concern is with the fish I have if the temperature drops too low and I am not there to correct it. Better heater off during the day and then on again at night.

The fish I keep if it makes a difference are:

Dwarf Puffers - 3 in one tank that stays at 26 degrees but risen to 27 degrees, a singular one that stays 26 and rises to 27 degrees.

Betta at 27 can go up to 28.

Guppy tank which have the heater on 20 just in case and the regular temp is 24 (room temp from what can tell)

What would your suggestions be, I work 8 till 6 so that is a large part of the day that I am not there to observe and help if something was to go wrong.
 
can i just ask why you want to turn the heaters off?, they wont operate if the temp of the tank is higher than set anyways so i cant see how turning them off is going to make a difference???
 
Wasn't sure as have seen various posts of people turning off heaters during the summer months and it did confuse me slightly! So leave them at preset and just keep an eye on the any rising temps?

p.s. thank you for the quick reply :)
 
Wasn't sure as have seen various posts of people turning off heaters during the summer months and it did confuse me slightly! So leave them at preset and just keep an eye on the any rising temps?

p.s. thank you for the quick reply :)


Yeh i read them quite often and tbh never really made sense in my eyes lol (unless im just missing somethink :P )

I would just leave them, no point in unplugging a heater if it's actually not going to switch it self on. :)


jen
 
Wasn't sure as have seen various posts of people turning off heaters during the summer months and it did confuse me slightly! So leave them at preset and just keep an eye on the any rising temps?

p.s. thank you for the quick reply :)


Yeh i read them quite often and tbh never really made sense in my eyes lol (unless im just missing somethink :P )

I would just leave them, no point in unplugging a heater if it's actually not going to switch it self on. :)


jen

I lived in Australia previously and never had a huge problem. I did get worried for a while in heatwaves but obviously the heater does not go on if it goes high. Personally in really hot times I kept the room in the dark to prevent sun and heat getting in.

Someone once told me about a trick of freezing a closed bottle of water and putting this in the tank if there was an emergency but dont know if anyone has any genuine experience of this.
 
Wasn't sure as have seen various posts of people turning off heaters during the summer months and it did confuse me slightly! So leave them at preset and just keep an eye on the any rising temps?

p.s. thank you for the quick reply :)


Yeh i read them quite often and tbh never really made sense in my eyes lol (unless im just missing somethink :P )

I would just leave them, no point in unplugging a heater if it's actually not going to switch it self on. :)


jen

I lived in Australia previously and never had a huge problem. I did get worried for a while in heatwaves but obviously the heater does not go on if it goes high. Personally in really hot times I kept the room in the dark to prevent sun and heat getting in.

Someone once told me about a trick of freezing a closed bottle of water and putting this in the tank if there was an emergency but dont know if anyone has any genuine experience of this.


Yeh m8 the bottle thing does work on smaller tanks. on larger ones it takes a fair few bottles lol
 
Mate i think you should be fine, iam also in bournemouth and all is good with mine....just leave off the lights and maybe if you can open the lid and leave a window open if you can...if sun beats in the room then keep the curtains or blind closed :good:
 
my temps keeep shooting up so am currently limiting the lights
 
Well except for the main tank, all the others don't have lights direct, the flat is pretty dark right now with all windows open and curatins closed (hope the fish don't get too confused!).

Think I will keep the dwarf puffer tank light ontoday as they really are in darkness and their tank does not suffer as badly as the others. My other half is bringing home his small bottles he drinks from for a thorough cleaning for a just incase situation! Thanks guys.

Thanks Nelly! good to know other bournemouth people about who can experience the same weather! lol (we arent the warmest I know ;))
 
Unplugged all my heaters, not a chance in heck they are needed, plus I dont like things plugged in that dont need to be, so whilst they arent needed, voila.

Water changes every three days or so should help with the temperature. Leaving the lids off, not possible with some fish, lights out, windows open, curtains closed, fans.
 
I swapped out the 150W to a 50W a while ago and the only valid reason I see to actually turn off the filter is to save the power of the thermostat being their. My heater is set at 26 but tank temps are 27.5 and morning is the hottest time for the tanks as they get direct sunlight.
 
A thermostat does not use power. It has a voltage applied that does not have any current passing unless the bimetal strip allows the contacts to close and turn the heater element on. Electronic controls probably use an unmeasurable amount of power but a thermostat uses none at all.
The need for a heater varies with what you have in the tank. Many of my tanks contain goodeids that do better when their temperature is allowed to move around with the seasons so I do not plug in the heater on their tanks. I have a heater for most of my tanks because I don't want to have major changes to make just because I move fish around. If I add a temperature sensitive fish to a previously unheated tank, the heater gets plugged in to control the temperature.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top