Heater Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

taffia1

Reaction score
I'm starting a new tank 39 Inch 200 Litre.  It has a 3d background so I can't place the heater in the middle of the tank, it has to be at the end.  Do I need 1 heater at each end to avoid cold spots or will one heater be fine?

I'm waiting for a Hydor external heater to arrive but it's been 3 weeks and there is some issue with Hydor at the moment so I may have to revert back to internal Heaters, hence the question.

Shame about the Hydor heater. Do you know what the issue is? 

If you have good flow in your tank you should be fine with one heater.

I swear someone else was saying theres been issues with Hydor? Am quite curious to know whats up.

Didn't have problems getting mine, but that was last year sometime. Glad I got them ...

I'm not sure what the issue is apart from being told it's a shipping issue.  I actually recieved one 300w but it was too big for my filter outlet pipe,.  I returned it and ordered a 200 with 12 mm fitting.  I've been assured there definately coming but theres a bit of a delay.

taffia1 said:
I'm starting a new tank 39 Inch 200 Litre.  It has a 3d background so I can't place the heater in the middle of the tank, it has to be at the end.  Do I need 1 heater at each end to avoid cold spots or will one heater be fine?

I'm waiting for a Hydor external heater to arrive but it's been 3 weeks and there is some issue with Hydor at the moment so I may have to revert back to internal Heaters, hence the question.
unless you are buying direct from Hydor, any delay is nothing to do with them. and as far as i can tell they dont sell direct.
so please dont deride a perfectly good heater and maker, because of a poor retailer.

personally I'd go for two 150w heaters, but purly  as a precaution. (or two 200w hydors as i use two cannisters on my 200l)
one 300w heater, if it sticks ON, will cook your fish.
something one 150w/200w could not do.

It can be related to them if there having trouble sending stock to the retailer's. It only seems to be a delay on there heaters. No doubt a sudden surge in sales are causing issues :p

ye i dont know anything, about the hydor other than they are an amazing heater, i am disappointed no one has done anything like that before either,

but as long as you have flow around the tank, you only need one heater :), i used to just have a 300W in my 330L

I've had my current 288l tank for nearly seven years now and I've only ever had one 300W heater in it and it's been fine. It may depend on your house of course, if you have a cold room or no central heating it will have to work harder, but one should be fine, especially if you're waiting for an external to arrive.

Why not just stick it on one end temporarily until the external arrives? Surely as it will be just until the new one arrives it won't be too much of a problem?

raptorrex said:

unless you are buying direct from Hydor, any delay is nothing to do with them. and as far as i can tell they dont sell direct.
so please dont deride a perfectly good heater and maker, because of a poor retailer.

personally I'd go for two 150w heaters, but purly  as a precaution. (or two 200w hydors as i use two cannisters on my 200l)
I am just advising on what issue i have at the moment, I am not trying to deride any company or heater.  I quote from what I have been told. ''We are having terrible trouble with Hydor at the moment, but we should have a delivery coming within the next 7-10 days''.  It's also funny how other retailers also have the Hydor 200 out of stock and don't have an anticipated delivery date.  It may be the retailers, it may be Hydor, for me it's not an issue.  I'll wait and use internal in the meantime but please don't tell me what I can and can't say on a forum.  Thanks for your advice on using 2 heaters.

taffia1 said:

I am just advising on what issue i have at the moment, I am not trying to deride any company or heater.  I quote from what I have been told. ''We are having terrible trouble with Hydor at the moment, but we should have a delivery coming within the next 7-10 days''.  It's also funny how other retailers also have the Hydor 200 out of stock and don't have an anticipated delivery date.  It may be the retailers, it may be Hydor, for me it's not an issue.  I'll wait and use internal in the meantime but please don't tell me what I can and can't say on a forum.  Thanks for your advice on using 2 heaters.

Calm down gents! :) I'm sure there was no offence intended either way!

On another note, if you have two heaters then fine but if not I wouldn't worry about rushing out to get one to use for a couple of weeks unless your house is cold a lot of the time.

taffia1 said:

please dont deride a maker unless you have evedence they are to blame!
its only fair to all.

I've checked two supplyers who confirm they have units avaliable in stock.

there is often a delay when a buyer has made a mistake and needs an item exchanged and this may be the problem, or not. remember this is a service they don't have to offer as it was your error.

and i will speak as i like thank you.

I have evidence they are to blame, I've been advised that by the stockist. I was just passing on info I received and outlining my scenario to provide an understanding of my question. I did not slander any company so you should keep your arrogant tone to yourself. Please try to stick your head in fish tank for a few hours.

By the way it's not an error on my part as I refunded off one company and bought of another. No exchange. Heater returned within returns policy, money refunded.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back