Heater question/ water change question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GrullaQuarters

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have my new (first) betta tank set up, it's a 1.6 gallon. I have read places where they say do not put a heater in anything this small. It is EMPTY. There is no fish in the tank....YET.

So what do I do? W/o the light on, the temp stays around 68. Do I get some sort of heater, or do I move the tank somewhere else where it's not quite as cool? I have it in my office in the basement. It's always cooler down here.....I had it on the kitchen counter for 24 hours after I set it up, and up there, w/o the light on, it stayed at a constant 72.

And if I get a heater for this 1.6 gal tank, how do you all handle water changes as far as temperature? We have well water, no city water, so in our big tank, tap water goes into it when I do w/c. (I have a python for that one). I have a stick on thermometer on the hose, so adjust the water temp coming out of the faucet so it's as close to the normal water temp when it goes in. But how would I do that with this? Same way? I know many of you say the water should be 'aged' like 24 hours or something.....and treated. But with well water, we don't get the additives put in the water as they do in the city. I use Stress Coat as a water treatment.

Anyway, just wanting to figure this all out before I fill this tank with a fish!

Thanks!

I have a 2.5 that I keep a heater in. Even though it may not come on very often I like to have it in there just in case. While some things are not required for smaller tanks, I would rather be safe than have a sick or even worse dead fishy. :crazy:

FishyLoveBug said:
I have a 2.5 that I keep a heater in. Even though it may not come on very often I like to have it in there just in case. While some things are not required for smaller tanks, I would rather be safe than have a sick or even worse dead fishy. :crazy:
yeah, i'd get a mini heater, too to be on the safe side. can't go wrong keeping him in 76-80.

i use the junior heaters from walmart on my small tanks. it says not to use them smaller then 2 gal, but they only get my 1 gal to 78!!

Hydor Mini Heater.
They're the best thing since sliced bread.
It's what I have in Archie's tank - the same tank as you have there.
If we meet @ PW on Tuesday I can show you them, although I was there today and they're out.

I just use a heating pad on my smaller tanks. It's consistant and doesn't fluctuate...and it's cheap lol. The fish seem to enjoy going down and laying on the bottom from tiem to time too...where I'm sure it's rather warm...I put some low plants with 3 fronds...and they always choose the lower leaves to perch on lol.

Yeah Momma I looked while I was there last week...also took a gander at Mounds and PS yesterday, didnt' see anything for a small tank like this. Can you set the temp on this one? Does the temp increase much when the light is on?

Also folks, what about the water changes? Do you leave the betta out until the water heats to where it's supposed to? If Momma is right and a local store here is to have CTs tomorrow, I would like to buy one and have this tank ready for him!

But want to make sure I have a plan first......what's the coolest a betta can be kept in? If I kept it upstairs, where it stayed 72-74, would that be enough? Would elliminate the temp w/c problem...

You make the water be as close to the temp it was before you took the fish out before putting it back in after a change...a few degrees cooler is fine..just try not to make it warmer then it was.

I have my new (first) betta tank set up, it's a 1.6 gallon. I have read places where they say do not put a heater in anything this small. It is EMPTY. There is no fish in the tank....YET.

So what do I do? W/o the light on, the temp stays around 68. Do I get some sort of heater, or do I move the tank somewhere else where it's not quite as cool? I have it in my office in the basement. It's always cooler down here.....I had it on the kitchen counter for 24 hours after I set it up, and up there, w/o the light on, it stayed at a constant 72.

And if I get a heater for this 1.6 gal tank, how do you all handle water changes as far as temperature? We have well water, no city water, so in our big tank, tap water goes into it when I do w/c. (I have a python for that one). I have a stick on thermometer on the hose, so adjust the water temp coming out of the faucet so it's as close to the normal water temp when it goes in. But how would I do that with this? Same way? I know many of you say the water should be 'aged' like 24 hours or something.....and treated. But with well water, we don't get the additives put in the water as they do in the city. I use Stress Coat as a water treatment.

Anyway, just wanting to figure this all out before I fill this tank with a fish!

Thanks!
You could have a nano heater. I use one in a 10L tank that I use for rearing young fry.

Most reactions

trending

Back