He messed up :(

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a couple friends who originally got me into fish, one of them in particular. As I learnt more and more I was impressed with how well balanced their stocking and plant life was. Then I saw they had clown loach. It had been hiding for a while, keep in mind this is a 40 g bow.

What should I do, it didn't have ich or anything, it just doesn't belong in the tank. Nothing around to bully it either.

Hey all,
I have a couple friends who originally got me into fish, one of them in particular. As I learnt more and more I was impressed with how well balanced their stocking and plant life was. Then I saw they had clown loach. It had been hiding for a while, keep in mind this is a 40 g bow.

What should I do, it didn't have ich or anything, it just doesn't belong in the tank. Nothing around to bully it either.
It needs more room. Do you have the tank room? I don't.

Clown loaches are an interesting one they do get huge - look up Marge the clown loach. But they take a long time to get big even in optimal tanks it is a serious number of years before they get over 6 inches or so. I think most clown loach owners in average tanks need to understand that they won’t have them for life but given how commons they are I would rather them be in your friends 40g than stuck in an lfs or uneducated owner. When they are larger they generally attract high price tags so they do eventually live out their years in suitable tanks it’s just a bit of a process.

I’d never recommend this to someone but since it’s a rough lesson to learn this is a lesser or two evils.

Wills

Clown loaches are an interesting one they do get huge - look up Marge the clown loach. But they take a long time to get big even in optimal tanks it is a serious number of years before they get over 6 inches or so. I think most clown loach owners in average tanks need to understand that they won’t have them for life but given how commons they are I would rather them be in your friends 40g than stuck in an lfs or uneducated owner. When they are larger they generally attract high price tags so they do eventually live out their years in suitable tanks it’s just a bit of a process.

I’d never recommend this to someone but since it’s a rough lesson to learn this is a lesser or two evils.

Wills
Thanks Wills, I'll keep an eye on it and when the times right recommend a switch of hands.

Wills
What???????????? A 40cm (16") clown loach??????? That is a giant.

Wills
My LFS sells them at 4" for £10 or something.

Hey all,

Simple question why are you concerned? if it's the welfare of the fish you can only make suggestions in a kind way or offer to buy the fish and house it yourself. BTW you don't mention it's current size. For all we know it may be just 1" inch long. I commend you for your observations but why not discuss with the current owners. and your concerns for the health and welfare of the fish in the future.

Simple question why are you concerned? if it's the welfare of the fish you can only make suggestions in a kind way or offer to buy the fish and house it yourself. BTW you don't mention it's current size. For all we know it may be just 1" inch long. I commend you for your observations but why not discuss with the current owners. and your concerns for the health and welfare of the fish in the future.
I was just seeking advice, I'm 16 and don't have much experience talking to people about things they may not be comfortable with. Sorry, and thanks for the advice.

I was just seeking advice, I'm 16 and don't have much experience talking to people about things they may not be comfortable with. Sorry, and thanks for the advice.
Hey no worries and I can sympathise it's hard talking to those who may be older, heck I never talked to my parents, when I was at your age. And no need to apologize I just wanted to get some clarification before sounding off and offering my 2 cents. Take care and good luck with your own tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Back