He is so bloated!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Really hard not to worry about my boy. Bloating and constpation leads to swim bladder and dropsy right?
No.

Fish don't get constipated. It's a mammal/ human problem caused by lack of fibre and lack of water.

Swim bladder problems are rare in fish and most of the fish that allagedly have swim bladder problems actually have air in their intestines and are fine after they fart it out.

Dropsy is caused by an internal infection or internal organ failure. This is normally caused by bad food or a dirty environment. It can also be caused by fish TB, however TB is rare in Bettas because they are kept alone and don't normally come in contact with other fishes.

I never have fed him poor quality foods. From bloodworms, daphnia to fluval bug bites. Is this poor quality food? Should I worry @Colin_T

Frozen foods can get defrosted during transit to the wholesaler or shop and get refrozen before you buy it.

Some brands of frozen bloodworms are irradiated and that kills most of the bad bugs on the food, which makes it safer. Other brands don't get irradiated and can cause internal problems to some fish.

Depending on where the Daphnia was collected from will determine if it is safe. Most frozen Daphnia comes from sewerage farms in Asia and these can cause internal problems. Again, if it's irradiated then it should be fine but you have to check the packaging.

I prefer to buy frozen seafood for human consumption and use that for the fish. Frozen foods like brineshrimp and mysis shrimp that are from salt water are usually safer than those from freshwater.
And I used to culture my own live foods so I knew they were clean.

Having said all this, most frozen fish food sold at pet shops should be safe for the fish, and if you buy a reputable brand then you shouldn't have any problems with the fish getting sick.

The foods you are using are a good start. If you added a few more types of food it would be even better. Brineshrimp, mozzie larvae and live Daphnia would be great additions, as would some raw or cooked prawn/ shrimp.

I never have fed him poor quality foods. From bloodworms, daphnia to fluval bug bites. Is this poor quality food? Should I worry @Colin_T
See, this a perfect example of your constant worry. You know good and well that those are good foods to feed your fish, yet, as soon as Colin says something then you have to question what you feed. Stop doing this to yourself!

I wish people cared for me the way you do that bloody betta of yours :rofl: you know how to keep fish, you don't need reassurances lol just have fun and keep doing what you're doing. You're smarter and more experienced than you give yourself credit for!

I do constantly worry about everything, I don't want to lose a 4th betta. The daphnia I bought off Amazon it came as liquid and warm. It was unfrozen and I freezed it again. And everything keeps happening and I constantly worry. I know only basics of fishkeeping and I constantly make mistakes when helping others on TFF.

I do constantly worry about everything, I don't want to lose a 4th betta. The daphnia I bought off Amazon it came as liquid and warm. It was unfrozen and I freezed it again. And everything keeps happening and I constantly worry. I know only basics of fishkeeping and I constantly make mistakes when helping others on TFF.
Making mistakes is natural, you can only try to research as best as you can before doing anything. It's making the same mistake twice that would be a problem. You can't be penalised for making the odd mistake, the important thing is to know the basics then to expand on your knowledge. I'm in the same boat as you and so are plenty of others on this forum. If it makes you feel better, I gave my whole community tank ich recently because I rushed my water change, didn't temperature match and dumped it in. Must have been a nightmare for the poor fish, I felt awful. Don't beat yourself up or you'll ruin the whole experience for yourself. Aslong as you get the basics right, which you can with the knowledge you have, you wont go far wrong.

Making mistakes is natural, you can only try to research as best as you can before doing anything. It's making the same mistake twice that would be a problem. You can't be penalised for making the odd mistake, the important thing is to know the basics then to expand on your knowledge. I'm in the same boat as you and so are plenty of others on this forum. If it makes you feel better, I gave my whole community tank ich recently because I rushed my water change, didn't temperature match and dumped it in. Must have been a nightmare for the poor fish, I felt awful. Don't beat yourself up or you'll ruin the whole experience for yourself. Aslong as you get the basics right, which you can with the knowledge you have, you wont go far wrong.
I constantly make these same mistakes, it sometimes makes wanna give up fishkeeping. I don't have experience, I'm not experienced.

Stop being a doughnut, it's really not the end of the world. You bought that betta because you know you're capable of looking after it, you care too much to buy one knowing you're unable to raise it
I think I am unable

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back