He is so bloated!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
My betta is so bloated for couple of days now. I gave him an Epsom salt bath, 2 table spoons for 5 litres, and gave hima thawed and de shelled peas on which he choked and now is bit more bloated. Now I only will fast him for couple of days, but I am still worried as he lays around quite a lot. Maybe he would enjoy company of a pair of my amano shrimp and then maybe he wouldn't lay around that much?

He is eating, no poo to be seen around. His poo was brown, short in a shape of rain drop. Nitrite and Ammonia is the same as yesterday, did also a little water change today. pH is above 7.0, water hardness of 253ppm.
I can't post a video at all, I would have to get my iPad which is blocked.
A photo is possible:

IMG_20200706_142622.jpg
IMG_20200706_142459.jpg

@Colin_T he also has blue under chin, and no pineconing.

For couple weeks his fins were like that.
I did use aquarium salt for a week until yesterday like you said @Colin_T and it was one whole table spoon and a half like you said.

@Colin_T do you know what is wrong with him? This bloat.. This blue underchin and pale black head from time to time..??

I don't know what you are referring to about blue under his chin.

Fish can vary colour a little bit depending on how they feel and also time of day/ night.

-------------
No idea about the bloating. I would just try to keep the tank clean, use salt for another week to try and help the fins, and feed a varied diet.

What do you normally feed the fish?

You can use 1 to 2 heaped tablespoons of salt for every 20 litres of water. If you used 1.5, then increase it to 2 heaped tablespoons for at least 1 more week.

I will increase salt to 2 heaped tablespoons. Will add it today.
I feed him bloodworms from time to time, mainly I feed him fluval bug bites and I'm out of daphnia.
Blue underchin, @Colin_T you will see it under his eyes and mouth, he didn't have it when I first got him.

Try fasting him for a few days and then introduce pellets to his diet. I'm sure what you're feeding him is very high in protein which may be making him struggle with digesting. I dunno though, @Colin_T may say otherwise

There’s nothing wrong with the fish except fin rot. You’re stressing yourself again. Treat the fin rot and stop worrying. Perhaps a different hobby would be better for you. I hate to see you so stressed all the time.

There’s nothing wrong with the fish except fin rot. You’re stressing yourself again. Treat the fin rot and stop worrying. Perhaps a different hobby would be better for you. I hate to see you so stressed all the time.

I agree, I don't see anything wrong with him other than his fins. You're stressing yourself out too much. :/

No other hobby is good enough as fish keeping. I love fish.

No other hobby is good enough as fish keeping. I love fish.
You do seem to post every other day with a worry. I'll assume you've lost a betta that you were very attached too to something you feel you could have prevented and now you're very anxious about it happening again. Try to enjoy it though

You do seem to post every other day with a worry. I'll assume you've lost a betta that you were very attached too to something you feel you could have prevented and now you're very anxious about it happening again. Try to enjoy it though
I try to enjoy, but everything new happens every single day. I'd hate my boy to have dropsy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back