Haven't Got A Clue....please Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bigavo86

Reaction score
Last week my boyfriend was given a 34litre tank, we went to the pet shop for advice and was told to buy some tap safe and some food to promote good bacteria in the tank, give it a week or so to try a fish in there,

From reading a few topics on this forum, I don't need the food atall,, I should of got some ammonia is that right?

I'm about to go and buy a heater for it, is there anything else I need to get? I've read the beginners post but I'm still not making heads or tales of it so can anyone help me please

Thanks in advance

If you're planning to buy ammonia to help start the tank then get a test kit while your there. Liquid test kits are the best (such as API Fresh water master kit) But test strips, like one would use in a pool are also available, they're much cheaper, but not as accurate. You will require one that reads Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrate.

You already have a dechlorinator so that's good, and a heater is good. Get a thermometer as well (so that way you know the temperature of the tank. I've had heaters malfunction and heat the tank to 90 F and I would have had no idea if not for the thermometer.) 

That's all I can think of the top of my head... Anyone else have suggestions?

Getting a hold of proper ammonia can be tough in the UK.  The fish food method is actually a rather 'old school' method, but it works!  Nice that you found an LFS that's actually suggesting a version of a fishless cycle.  A week isn't enough for it to fully cycle, but its a start. 

Krystal got most of the stuff.  Just watch out for perfumes, surfactants, etc. in the ammonia.

Flake fish food is a poor choice. It often doesn't have enough of the best ammonia producing ingredients. Use a piece of shrimp.

I have never agreed with the idea of producing ammonia by having food rot in a tank. Its messy, nasty looking and there usually should be another option. And I thought old school was cycling with fish?

I wonder if there is still someplace in the UK to buy Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride? daize might know.

Her supplier went out of business. :/

TwoTankAmin said:
 And I thought old school was cycling with fish?

I wonder if there is still someplace in the UK to buy Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride? daize might know.

"old school" fishless cycling...  "Old OLD school" is cycling with fish. :p

Hi there.

I got kleenoff ammonia from amazon on the net and used that successfully to do a fishless cycle of my tank.

I was ill advised by my lfs and wish i hadnt gone to that particular one as i lost 6 fish as they told me my tank would be ready after 3/4 days of setting it up :(

But now i am totally cycled after a good few weeks thanks to the great advice i have been given by the members on this forum!! :)

I also invested in an API freshwater master test kit and you will need this for sure!!

What type/make of filter came with the tank?
The better the flow the more circulation throughout the tank.
You will experience cloudiness for a few days. Its also a good idea to put a piece of bog wood in the tank (but soak it for a few days first to remove some most of the nasty chemicals).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back