Haven't begun very well.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tragedyfin

Reaction score
*Fish death*
I got my first tank last week, and from the pet shop's advice I got fish on Saturday - just 4 glowlight tetras. It's a planted tank and things went well over the weekend, they seemed inquisitive, ate, played around in the plants and decorations I got.

They seemed fine this morning, and when I came home at lunch, but when I came back this evening, one of them was swimming upside down and was having trouble directing themselves, and was instead being swept by the current of the filter. They're dead now.

From what I've read in the hour I've had it seems swim bladder related, but I don't know any more than that. I've taken a water sample but I don't have a testing kit. I'm going to try and get one tomorrow.

I don't really know what else to say, everything seems to have gone wrong.

Otherwise about myself: mid 20s, in the UK and currently sad, fingers crossed things improve.

Last edited:
you didn't cycle your aquarium. the fish were poisoned by the high levels of ammonia and nitrite. a tank is uninhabitable without beneficial bacteria that convert ammonia and nitrite. the store misinformed you, probably hoping for you to return to buy more fish after these died.

TragedyFin,
Watch a video on cycling your aquarium without fish. Cycling an aquarium will take 6-8 weeks, then you can add fish. It is extremely important to have a Freshwater Test Kit. You cannot cycle your aquarium without it.
Hopefully in three months when your aquarium and fish are all thriving you'll be able to change your member name 😂

*Fish death*
I got my first tank last week, and from the pet shop's advice I got fish on Saturday - just 4 glowlight tetras. It's a planted tank and things went well over the weekend, they seemed inquisitive, ate, played around in the plants and decorations I got.

Otherwise about myself: mid 20s, in the UK and currently sad, fingers crossed things improve.
lots of us have been where you are now, I waited two weeks before fish as directed but still hadn’t started to cycle the tank! (And lots older than mid 20s 😂)

Thanks realzalio and Heather, I've had a peek now and should be capable of following some proper instructions. As far as I know it's an independent store, so can't comment on any prior advice I've heard about.

I've lost another fish, but is there anything I can do for my remaining two? I know they prefer to have a school (shoal?), but is there anything I can do for them? Apart from cycling with a vengence. I have some live bacteria (Fluval biological enhancer), should I just put the entire bottle in? I've already put some in as it instructed me to, but would it help if I put more in?

Thanks realzalio and Heather, I've had a peek now and should be capable of following some proper instructions. As far as I know it's an independent store, so can't comment on any prior advice I've heard about.

I've lost another fish, but is there anything I can do for my remaining two? I know they prefer to have a school (shoal?), but is there anything I can do for them? Apart from cycling with a vengence. I have some live bacteria (Fluval biological enhancer), should I just put the entire bottle in? I've already put some in as it instructed me to, but would it help if I put more in?
Use the Fluval beneficial bacteria bottle as directed. I wouldn't add extra. Are you able to return the remaining Tetras, so you can fishless cycle your aquarium? If not, then they might not be strong enough to survive ammonia/Nitrite spikes. Sadly, ammonia burns fish. Test your aquarium water regularly. If you see an ammonia spike (even a little elevated ppm) immediately do a partial water change. Keep watching your ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate levels until you're fully cycled. If a fish dies in your aquarium immediately remove it because it will affect your water quality as well. Water change once a week regardless of your levels. Watch youtube videos on how to siphon and do weekly partial water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back