Have You Brought Normal Tables Before?

lilacamy931

Starting again
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
3,475
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Bournemouth, UK
I have proper tank stands for my other tanks but now need to move my 10g to a more convenient place and need it elevated off the floor but no real need for a proper tall stand. Have you guys brought normal tables and any recommendations?

I have seen these and wander what you think?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6091989/Trail/searchtext%3ETABLE.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6090753/Trail/searchtext%3ETABLE.htm

Need something relatively simple and cheap, but of course do not want to jeopardise having the table collapse under the weight.

Thanks for any opinons.
 
If you would be comfortable sitting on them and they are big enough to fully support the 10 gallon, they should be usable for a small tank like that.
 
Thanks Oldman47 :good: The sitting thing is a good idea (hadnt thought of that)

Thanks Oldman47 :good: The sitting thing is a good idea (hadnt thought of that)
 
Ah this has been mentioned to me to put some support between, will ensure to do, so a 10g being pretty light for a tank is reasonably ok with most tables? Thanks very very much, it has been suggested large rolls of the polystyrene can be bought in relatively cheap rolls at places such as Homebase and B&Q
 
As pointed out, you only need the polystyrene if the tank isn't already braced. I think this means you'd only need it if the bottom is bare glass underneath, with no plastic frame etc :good: Of the 2 tables, I think the second looks sturdier. As with all Argos flatpack, final stability depends on how well it's put together ;)
 
I'd say after assembling your choice, get someone pretty heavy, at least 12-14 stone to sit on it for 5 mins to test the weight and make sure it doesn't wobble in any way.
 
I shall go for the second one! Actually the tank in question has plastic thingy on the base (not bare bottom glass) so good there hopefully. As to the "pretty heavy" that will be my job :lol: I shall test ;)
 
I put most my tanks i've kept in my bedroom on my Draw's...

They fit perfectly

Like oldman said

if you can sit on them comfertably etc then sure go for it!
 
I would opt for the 2nd table, :good:
The first one the legs i think are plastic,i have a similar telephone table and its the same design.
 
120 litre is getting quite heavy. The water alone is 120Kg. Add in a tank at 20Kg and the substrate at another 15 or 20Kg and you are well beyond the weight of a single person like we have in the 38 litre model that Lilacamy asked about. A 120 litre tank needs a serious stand built to hold the weight. A table is seldom appropriate for such a heavy tank.
 
While a table may be a bit sparse on support for a tank, older dressers, night stands and buffet cabinets are often built quite a bit stronger. I have a buddy that would pick up old furniture when he had an apartment, and either use them as is for smaller tanks, or modify the support for larger tanks.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top