Has My Tank Instant Cycled?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

onetwothree

Reaction score
Hi All,

Today, I set up my first tank and got ready to cycle it. I purchased my tank 2nd hand, with an old filter which included media. I didn't end up using the old filter, but figured since the media was still good, I'd see if it could provide me with an 'instant' cycle, as I've read that using media with established bacteria can do this. However, when I purchased the tank & filter etc, the seller told me they had emptied the tank around Christmas, so the media was sat in a plastic bag and had presumably been there for some weeks, outside of the filter, tank and water. I've read from many sources that this should kill the bacteria, however I've also read several reports on forums, of media that has been out of water, still providing the immediate cycling results once placed back into water, with some suggesting that this could somehow reanimate the dormant bacteria. I have no idea if this is scientifically possible, but regardless, would make no difference if not, as I would just do a normal cycle.

Once set up, I tested my water and got the following results; PH 6.8, ammonia 0.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0. (cold water, the filter and heater had basically just been turned on).

Today, I tested the water after 24 hours and got the following (image attached); PH 6.6, ammonia 0 (very pale yellow), nitrite 0, nitrate 25 (roughly). All the tests were left to stand for at least 5 mins and completed using API master test kit.

At this point, I haven't even entered anything into the water column to start the cycle as I have read online. I planned on purchasing some fish food which I will begin slowly putting in daily, to breakdown and create ammonia. However, if my understanding is correct, there should be no nitrate present in the results yet if a cycle had not yet begun. The presence of 25 ish PPM nitrate and 0/0 ammonia & nitrite would be results I'd expect to find at the end of the cycle.

So, am I correct in assuming the old media has caused this and has provided me with an environment safe for fish? Is my understanding correct, or is there an error here?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

Attachments

• Test Results.jpg
    Test Results.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 109
Test for nitrate in your tap water.

It certainly sounds like thatā€™s the case. I would add some pure household ammonia. ( shake it and if it produces suds then it also has detergent which you donā€™t want). If not, then use it. Add enough to get your ammonia up to about 2 ppm. If in 12 hours, the ammonia is at 0 then you are cycled and ready to go. At that point just do a large water change to get your nitrates below 10ppm. Keep us posted!

Test for nitrate in your tap water.

Thanks - just did this and got a much lower reading than the tank water. Around 1/2 PPM, maybe even a 0.

It certainly sounds like thatā€™s the case. I would add some pure household ammonia. ( shake it and if it produces suds then it also has detergent which you donā€™t want). If not, then use it. Add enough to get your ammonia up to about 2 ppm. If in 12 hours, the ammonia is at 0 then you are cycled and ready to go. At that point just do a large water change to get your nitrates below 10ppm. Keep us posted!

I'll do that! Thanks for your help :)

Quick update: I've ordered some ammonia to dose tonight and try your recommendation. However, I noticed last night when testing that my ammonia and nitrite spiked from 0 each to around 2 & 0.50 respectively. Within about 2/3 hours, they had fallen to about 0.25 & 0.25 each, with nitrate increasing to around 30. Today I have noticed that they have fallen a little more, but are similar within that range. The only changes I've made to the tank in the last day is adding another 2 rocks as hardscape (taken from the old tank setup).

Any idea on what could have caused this at all?

Was the filter media dry? Or wet? If it was wet when you got it and you kept it wet, then you're good. If it was dry when you got it, its to late. all of the benificial bacteria is dead.

Was the filter media dry? Or wet? If it was wet when you got it and you kept it wet, then you're good. If it was dry when you got it, its to late. all of the benificial bacteria is dead.

It was damp in the bag. However, I did remove it for a while where it likely dried out slightly. If the bacteria was dead, why would I be detecting such high levels of nitrate within 24 hours? My understanding is that this wouldn't be possible without any bacteria. I have checked my tap water (0 ppm). Tank water was 25 ppm nitrate within 24 hours and now looks to be at 30+ within just 3 days. If all the bb was dead, this wouldn't happen, right? Unless there's something else that can cause this that I'm unaware of.

New studies show that not all bb dies out right away in dry media. Yours was still slightly damp. It appears some survived. It definitely sounds like you have a cycle. Rocks can effect water parameters depending on what they are made of. I think itā€™s just your cycle working. Letā€™s see how it goes with the ammonia. I bet your cycled.

Most reactions

trending

Back