The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lee_k

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone tried this:

What he says around the filter order has a good point - why would the fine filter be before the course, basically filters out as much as possible - then passes through the next? rather than filter a bit, bit more, bit more, finest and pumped out?

Lee

The Pond Guru, with his affiliation to Biohome bio-media has a bit of tunnel vision. Like many hobbyists, he's convinced that foam is only suitable for mechanical filtration and you need ceramic 'rocks' for bio-media. Oh I once bought into the marketing hype for commercial bio-medias (be they ceramic, plastic, or lave type rocks), but over the years I've come to realize that foam is not only an excellent mechanical media, but also an excellent bio-media. But I didn't invent this thinking....there are many fishrooms that run entirely on air driven sponge filters (often in bare bottom tanks!) and the Aquaipure denitrate filter contains only bio-sponge material in three different densities. My Aquaclear HOB filters are completely filled with sponge material.

As to the Jewel filter, I might agree that a coarse pad, followed by a fine pad would be better, but I think filling the rest with bio-foam is as good or better than 'ceramic rocks'! :)

Thanks - I found a half way house!

I added the carbax and amorax media into the filter (only sponge to come out was biocarb) - I've also ordered the cirax media but thats not turned up yet. Think i'll have to replace one of the sponges for this but it'll still have 1 bioplus coarse and 1 bioplus fine sponges in, along with the nitrax sponge - so guess i've got a bit of both.

I also removed the 600l pump and upgraded it to the 1000l pump so i'm hoping filter wise i'm in a better position

Thanks
Lee

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back