Has Anyone Had To Medicate A Turtle Before?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
One of my old ladies is poorly, she has a nasty throat infection. We have seen a vet and I have to give her two types of medicine by syringe.  I am wrapping her in a towel and annoying her so she bites the syringe and I squirt in the medicine, but its really stressful, not only to me but the turtle too. This morning it took me 5 minutes to get her to let go of the syringe again after she bit it.

Is there an easier way?

Don't have any experience with turtles, I'm afraid. My friend keeps tortoises though; I'll try and get hold of her later, see if she's got any tips for you :)

Thanks FM, much appreciated 

Sounds like R.I. (respiratory infection) to me. Does the turtle float on one side? Neck inflating while mouth is slight open? The inner body parts seem inflated as well??

What medication did the vet administer?

Its not Ri (yet) I have caught it early she is on .5ml marbocyl and 3 drops meloxivet daily for 7 days, The vet gave her an injection Thursday when we went. I noticed she was basking more than normal and only taking small bites of her food then on Wednesday she has a pink tinge to her skin so I got the appointment for Thursday. Worried sick about her as she is well over 35 years old. :(

I'm afraid my friend didn't have any particularly great advice, star, apart from have you tried tempting her to open her mouth with a treat, like a prawn and getting the meds into while her mouth is open. It usually works with tortoises, my friend says...

Thanks for asking for me FM, She wont take food unless she is in the water, and I cant get meds in then. There is only 5 days left, I will keep on wrapping her in a towel, thankfully she is looking lots better tonight :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back