I am plannin gon getting some Harlequin Rasboras. In my LFS Male and Female are in the same tank and wanted to know how do you tell whether it is Male or Female?
I'm planning on getting some of these for my tank when its done cycling. From what I've read and seen, it doesn't appear that you have to have a specific male to female ratio in order to prevent problems, but here's two websites that attempt to help differentiate the two from each other.
TFS Rasboras
"Female is much larger and rounder than the male. Male is generally much smaller than females."
Not terribly helpful, especially when buying juveniles I would imagine.
Badman's Fish Profiles
" In the females the lower front of the Triangle is often indistinct, while in the males it has a sharp edge that extends down toward the belly area."
Again, not sure how much that helps. They're fast little fish so it'd be hard for me to tell the difference at times.
i have a shoal of approx 16 in my planted tank...the females are much bigger and have rounded bellys....look really effective in a big shoal....their bright colours looks great in a planted tank! they love fast water flow as well