Harlequin Rasboras Scrapping?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

stoneagedinosaur

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all

I've just noticed tonight, that my usually placid Harlequins are having a right go at each other! Pairing up in twos - swimming in tight circles round each other - some are then ramming each other.

It does look like most of them are at it.

Anyone seen this behaviour before? What does it mean?

Hi all

I've just noticed tonight, that my usually placid Harlequins are having a right go at each other! Pairing up in twos - swimming in tight circles round each other - some are then ramming each other.

It does look like most of them are at it.

Anyone seen this behaviour before? What does it mean?

my harlequins have started doing this recently, mainly after a water change.
I am starting to think they are doing some territorial mating displays.
Are you ones flaring there fins?

Hope this helps :) x x x

Lots of fin flashing - lots of raised dorsals like they're pretending to be sharls at each other. I just noticed it as it has intensified over the last couple of days...

Be nice to get some babies

Mine do this most days, normally after a good feed. Its definitely courtship behaviour, I'm starting to wonder if the high pH (7.6-7.8) here is putting them off breeding or if they're happy just displaying. Eitherways they have a floating pot in the tank to act as 'broadleaf plants' that they can spawn on if they want to. Apparently when they decide to they've been known to spawn on hands so I figured an upturned floating plastic pot (with it's lid on) that'd wedged in the corner will do fine.

yeah i am wondering whats stopping them from breeding too. They are always doing there little dances but never anything more. I have plenty of plants that are suitable but they just wont.

Its sad it would be nice to have some harlequin babys but then again they are supposedly very hard to breed anyway :(

I am trying to find some video footage on youtube atm but no such luck, i will let you know though :) x x x

My tank runs at a PH of 8 - would that cause them to not breed? I like the idea of the upturned pot tho.

I read quite a bit of stuff about them breeding and it basically all said they're a lot less likely to on high ph. There seems to be quite a bit of evidence to back that up to. However frequent water changes and a good diet n who knows. They have bred in high ph for some people.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back