Harlequin Rasbora Dead

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

abramt

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi

I had 8 harlequin Rasbora and noticed one was ill. I quarantined all 8 and was advised to treat with interpet general tonic.

One of the rasbora deteriorated and died around 3-4 days after treatment.

I took this to mean the meds werent working and changed to using melaflix.
I followed the dosing instructions but the fish all started to look Ill. I reduced the dose. A week after the first death I have had another and am doubting the melaflix Is helping.

I was overfeeding and in the process of cleaning the gravel in the main tank stirred up so much food that the water turned cloudy.

I continued my water tests but ammonia and nitrite didn't rise. My nitrate is always barely detectable.

The Ph is stable also.

I have the community and hospital tank at 24c.

The symptoms are a white cloudy film on the fish, clamped fins and listlessness. In the late stages the fish struggle to swim and stay upright.

The fish have not been flashing.

I have one that looks a bit off colour but the majority have no symptoms.

One has a white tip on its mouth.

I have not done water test on the hospital tank as I was expecting the meds to interfere with the tests but have been doing 40-50% water changes daily.

Can anyone give advice on this as I'm really struggling to find anything that matches the symptoms

Thanks in advance

I have noticed last night that 2 fish have what looks like a couple of raised scales. I don't see any bloating so don't think it's dropsy. I next thought it may be ich but when I Google pictures of ich it looks like it would be obvious. I am starting to think it is parasites but don't know what to do about it without identifying which parasite it is.

Can anyone shed any light on this as I'm starting to think that I will lose them all.

Thanks

Hi

I've been to the lfs and hav now treated the tank with tetra medical general tonic. It says it treats skin parasites which I am guessing is what I first thought were raised scales. I will keep updating in case it helps anyone else

Are there any signs of flicking and rubbing?
Any signs of darting, or erratic swimming?
Any signs of tiny red pin prick marks on fish body, gills?
Do the gills have excess slime, or look red and in flamed?

It sounds more like columnaris to me if the fish has white lips.

Also the medications you have used are not up to much.

Can you post water stats please.
What test kit are you using?

Hi fish whisperer thanks for the reply. Ive spent a lot of time watching them and haven't seen any of those symptom you've listed. There is only one fish that has a white tip on its mouth and it has been there for around 2 weeks. It was the first symptom to show and the reason I quarantined the group. It also hasn't got any worse. I will test the water in the qt tank later and post the results although I think the methylene blue will have destroyed my good bacteria.

Thanks for your help

If there no signs of darting, flicking and rubbing, heavy breathing, or white tiny spots on fish it sound more bacterial to  me.
Other signs of parasites are a gold dust on fish, or yellow spots, rusty coloured varnish, blue to grey film on fish.
Cloudy film and losing balance can also be ph shock. It can take up to 2 weeks for fish to die of ph shock.
How long have you had the harlequins?

I've just tested both the main and qt tank and they are bot 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate the ph on both is 7-7.5. I trust my test kit as I used it when I cycled to my bigger tank a few months back and tested positive for all the tests.

I had only had the harlequins for about 3 weeks before I first noticed symptoms.

Iv just got home from work and the fish look no different.

Thanks again

Just checked the fish after work and the one with the totally clamped fins seems to have regained the use of one of them. Hopefully I'm getting somewhere.

It sounds more bacterial to me than parasites.

I would  try some myxazin by waterlife.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back