Hardiness?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luna0341

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I'm eager to put some Cory's with my female Betta in a 10gal. I was wanting dwarf Cory's but have heard mixed things about them being fragile and people having trouble with them dying. So I was wondering if pygmy Cory's would be better. Does anyone have advice or opinion on the hardiness of these two fish?

I personally wouldn’t mix Pygmy Corys with betta, you could try shrimp or snail?

I personally wouldn’t mix Pygmy Corys with betta, you could try shrimp or snail?
We'll see that's why I'd really prefer to get the habrosus Cory's cause I'm afraid the pygmys might be too small and get eaten, I don't want shrimp cause they creep me out lol. I might have to just step up to a bigger tank.

I wouldn't put cories in a 10 gallon tank either. Cories are shoaling fish with the smaller ones (pygmy, habrosus and hastatus) needing at least 10 of them, and I don't think a 10 gallon has enough room.
Well I figure I could do 8 pygmy or 6 habrosus. I've got it planted pretty good and I got a hollow log and somes caves so it's got good cover. I've heard people have had luck with this combination of Cory and Betta so I thought I'd give it a try. Ive heard mixed things about the habrosus mysterious dying off and I don't want that to happen to me. Anybody have any experience with this set up and what breed would be best? Eventually I'd like to get them set up in a 30gal long but it'll take me awhile to get it cycled for them. Then I can get a larger school going.

Habrosus cories are as small as pygmies, though. As are hastatus (if you could find any). All are under 1 inch standard length (which does not include the tail)

These dwarf cories do poorly in small numbers. A minimum of 10 is recommended.

Edit - forgot to ask, what is on the bottom of the tank? These tiny fish really need sand.

Habrosus cories are as small as pygmies, though. As are hastatus (if you could find any). All are under 1 inch standard length (which does not include the tail)

These dwarf cories do poorly in small numbers. A minimum of 10 is recommended.

Edit - forgot to ask, what is on the bottom of the tank? These tiny fish really need sand.
So i know where your going with this :), I've got gravel right now....... I know I need sand for them cause of their barbels and what not. So what I was thinking about doing is going half and half. Pulling the gravel to one side and putting sand on the other side, using decor or walls to divide it so it looks nice. I don't want to fully switch over to sand because I'm afraid it'll wreck my cycle. Plus the color of my gravel ( pink and teal) brings out the pink and teal color of my Betta.

I really need to get me a 30 gal tank. Just I'm so eager to get a community going and it took me 2 and half months to cycle my 10 Gal. And now I can add fish it just sucks to realize I should have gone bigger. I bet though by using my existing media it wouldn't take me as long to cycle a new 30 gal. And that's probably exactly what I'll do, but Id still like to try this with 10 gal in the mean time.

I've had the tank about 5 months now, and my Betta for 2, she's happy as a clam. Might just let her have the 10 to herself and just straight up start a new project with 30 gal. Get me a blue Gourami and some green neon tetras and some Cory's. Have proper schools going, it'll be perfect.

Reguardless of the set up.........Does anyone have any information regarding how hardy these two species of Cory are!? Am I better off with one than the other? Let's assume I'm going to get this started with the 10gal but within a few months transferring everybody to a 30 gal tank. But I still have intentions to start this with my 10......... What fish do I get?

There are 3 types of pygmy (small) cory: Corydoras pygmaeus, Corydoras hastatus, and Corydoras habrosus

I've kept a shoal of 10 C. habrosus in a 10G in the past, and they were fine...on a sand substrate, with small, peaceful tetras (embers)

I wouldn't keep them with a betta, and I'd never keep corys of any kind on a gravel substrate

You think they'd be okay on a half sand half gravel substrate for a few months just untill I can get a 30gal all sand tank cycled?

You think they'd be okay on a half sand half gravel substrate for a few months just untill I can get a 30gal all sand tank cycled?
I wouldn't risk it with a betta....many times, people have bettas by themselves, and they are docile and peaceful...then they add other fish to the tank, and all hell breaks loose

Right. I don't want that. Lol.
I wouldn't risk it with a betta....many times, people have bettas by themselves, and they are docile and peaceful...then they add other fish to the tank, and all hell breaks loose
Worst thing ever I buy a bunch of fish and my Betta kills them all, I've heard of this working though, just depends on her, the only reason I got a female Betta was because I thought she would be less aggressive but apparently that doesn't matter. It would be easier for me to downgrade her to a 5 gal. Then it would be for me to buy a 30 gal just for a community. My wife ain't gonna let me have a bunch of fish tanks all over the house though.

Most reactions

trending

Back