Happy New Year!.....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

It's 6:26 here and I love the Happy New Year greeting in Africaan(?), sounds to me like it could be Dutch. A little bit like German or Platt-Deutsch!
Where I grew up we said: Guten Rutsch in's Neue Jahr! That means: have a good slide into the new year! :-
Happy New Year everyone! :drinks:

Yes, You're right Rummy... I will have a full conversation in Afrikaans with a Dutch speaking person and understand every word he says.....

In German though..... I'll catch every 3rd word, but enough to follow and understand the core of his story....

We have 11 official languages here in South Africa..... English being the primary.....

We also have a combined language made up of dialects and phrases from all of the "tongues"..... called "Fanagalo", which is mainly spoken in the mining industry to help us understand the migrant workers on the mines from all over Africa..... I am fortunate to be rather fluent in that as well.....

I find English extremely difficult, but also the best language to express myself in as there are many, numerous, plenty, multiple, several, various, countless, infinite, and lots of ways to do it in..... The expanded vocabualary of the other languages are restricted.......

20 minutes to go here, the Legion will be setting the fireworks off, I'll be able to see them from my window.
On a sadder note it'll be 34 years tonight since I lost my Dad, I still miss him

This will be my 2nd festives without both of my parents, and one cannot help to think about it at times like this..... I think the "miss" is potentially greater if this coincides with their departure..... Have a great new years Cazgar.....

It's 6:26 here and I love the Happy New Year greeting in Africaan(?), sounds to me like it could be Dutch. A little bit like German or Platt-Deutsch!
Where I grew up we said: Guten Rutsch in's Neue Jahr! That means: have a good slide into the new year! :-

Yes, You're right Rummy... I will have a full conversation in Afrikaans with a Dutch speaking person and understand every word he says.....

In German though..... I'll catch every 3rd word, but enough to follow and understand the core of his story....

We have 11 official languages here in South Africa..... English being the primary.....

We also have a combined language made up of dialects and phrases from all of the "tongues"..... called "Fanagalo", which is mainly spoken in the mining industry to help us understand the migrant workers on the mines from all over Africa..... I am fortunate to be rather fluent in that as well.....

I find English extremely difficult, but also the best language to express myself in as there are many, numerous, plenty, multiple, several, various, countless, infinite, and lots of ways to do it in..... The expanded vocabualary of the other languages are restricted.......
What BigC wished you was "Glueckliches Neues Jahr" which means good luck in the new year, and "Moegen gute Dinge in Deinem Leben sein(?), und im kommenden Jahr" didn't quite understand all of it but what I did get was may good things be in your life and in the coming year?

I love languages, where I grew up we spoke a dialect, but since my parents came from a different area (they had to be relocated after the war, they were small children at the time), we spoke what is called "Hochdeutsch" or "High German" at home. We lived near the French border, and not too far from the Swiss border, so French words were common in our vocabulary, we learned English at school (well at least the basics, lol) and here in Canada I have learned a little Italian as well.
Now that all sounds smarter than it really is, since my German has gotten pretty poor, my English is good but there is still so much I don't know, I can read French OK but don't ask me to speak it or converse in it, and the Italian I learned is through conversations with an elderly lady and a preschooler, lol! :blush:

Happy new year!!!! Just watched some guys try and break world records. The snow mobile guy made 412 ft. Jump over a river and motorcycle guy jumped 378 ft. It was awesome!!! 12:24 here now. Have a happy safe new year everybody!!!

I like that! Especially here in northern Minnesota. Very appropriate!

I hope you all live long and prosper ...

Most reactions

Back