Happy Ending

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Dorsal

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I'd mention that thanks to the fishless cycling techniques on this site, my new tank is up and running, and after two weeks my fish are very healthy, and feeling right at home :) I have eight rainbows, three longfin tetras, two congo tetras, and two catfish that I haven't seen since they moved in :eek:

I'll take a picture after I have cleaned it up on Saturday and done my first water change. Thank you all for your support :D :D

Congrats, that is great news!! I have just finished a fishless cycle myself, it took 2 weeks. I haven't added my fish yet, though. It was pretty quick and painless wasn't it? I know for me it sounded more intimidating than it ended up being. Great job and have fun!! :kana:

canarsie11 said:
Did you guys add bacteria to the tank or just let nature take its course? ;)

1 day in to my fishless cycle!
I had some used rocks, an old log, and some plants. The cycle took two weeks, and the the fish have been there for two now. I just dis all the tests, and nitrite, nitrate, and amonia are all 0 :) PH was 7.3, so when I do my small waterchange today I'll add a little ph down. If I sprinke it in the tank directly, they try and eat it!!!

The catfish is Synodantes Euterpes. One actually popped out and had a look around today when the light was on, so we know that at least one of them is happy :) Should we feed them anything special like bottom feeder pellets or anything like that??

canarsie11 said:
Did you guys add bacteria to the tank or just let nature take its course? ;)

1 day in to my fishless cycle!
I added a potted plant from my LPS and some gravel from my brother's established tank. Took 2 weeks as well. Can't beat that.

Congrats Dorsal , that is great news!!
'i've dl your excel file, and will take a look at. i was wondering, what did you use for ammonia, what is the name of the product ?, is it clear etc ?. As this advice would come in handy for me as well as other some day...

Mo99 :)

Mo99 said:
Congrats Dorsal , that is great news!!
'i've dl your excel file, and will take a look at. i was wondering, what did you use for ammonia, what is the name of the product ?, is it clear etc ?. As this advice would come in handy for me as well as other some day...

Mo99 :)
I didn't mention the brand as it is a local procuct. It's called superior Amonia, but it would only be sold in Australia. I even rang the chemist to see how pure it was, and he said it was just nh3 and water :) The important bit was that it was 4% nh3 by volume. 8)

the ammonia I used was wal-mart branded. clear bottle purple wrapper. labeled "clear ammonia" I however and 1.5 weeks into a fishless cycle and still am not zeroing completely out in 24 hours on ammonia and my nitrites are OFF the scale same with nitrates.

Most reactions

Back