Happy days

It's already illegal to buy a pet without a parent present if you're under 12. Dunno if anyone even enforces that though.

NinjaSmurf said:
And I don't know from experience but I'm pretty sure you can buy condoms and pregnancy test and stuff like that without parents or photo id, which makes me wonder exactly why this is? *smacks head* Oh wait, yes, it's much more correct to let kids go have sex then let them get a fishtank, because they can't handle the responsibility of handling fish or other animals. Cause sex won't get you into any sort of situation you can't handle. Yeah, right.
Hey, :) I understand where you are coming from. I find that there are also many adults that are just as ignorant as some children when it comes to keeping fish.

However to make the comparison of buying fish to condoms and birth control is a little ridiculous. Teens are going to have sex whether they can buy those things are not...and that's exactly why they are available. They want those things to be easliy accessibe.

I know.... :/ it's just I find it ridiculous that you can buy them, and you can't buy fish. I mean, it's just too strange. It just feels like they're saying it's more okay to for young kids to have sex than it is to keep pets. Stupid comparision, I know.... I'm glad that they can buy them, even if from what studies I've heard a lot of them don't use them right anyways.... I'm just really pi$$ed, because it seems like everything is getting more and more restricted, and now I'm going to have to either spend (fish)money on photo id or drag my mom or someone along so I can get fish. Another thing, what about people who are 17 and 18 who live by themselves? I know it's not often but I know it's true. It's just irksome. (continues to rumble) Too old to get in the movies for kids price, too young looking to get into rated R. Son of a hoo! :X

Aww No I get what you are trying to say.

Ninja I totally understand where you are coming from. It used to irk me when my lps wouldn't sell me any small pets too when I was younger. I know that there are a lot of responsible teens out there who are great fish/pet keepers. I just think that people are worried that if an unwanted pet is brought home the animal/fish will suffer. Also, they probably worry that some children/teens buy pets for inappropriate reasons. :( This does happen sometimes and for that I totally understand why they want to enforce this rule.
I know it's not fair because you're not one of those people....It's a shame that some individuals ruin it for everyone else.

The thing is, at the end of the day the lfs people don't know if you are a great fish keeper or not, so they should make it easier. And like Plec said, she's seen loads of people come and in want to buy animals so they can kill them.

It was in the sun.

I like that thewy have set limits but It could just be that I look old. I've been on the edge of buying alchohl without being carded (realised I really didn't want any)

I think thats a stupid law. Mt brother wouldnt be able to buy fish then. And he knows how to take care of them. He does get some odd choices, but they all live. He only had one die, and it was killed.

I think that if you have a tank you could get one, no matter of the age. And if they did that were I lived, I wouldnt be able to get fish either because noone believes me of how old I am.

I think that if this is really a new law that it's quite stupid and probably a bit prejudice. I've seen little kids in the store teaching employees about the fish. What they should really do is do what they do with the dogs and cats now. Make the whole family come in and see if they are compatible.

Its not just fish that come under this law... that would be really pointless.

Its rabbits, cats, dogs, rodents etc that come under this law too.

YOU THINK IT'S COOL THAT I CAN'T BUY FISH!!!!!! YOU ARE OLDER AND DON'T CARE THAT SOME KIDS ARE RESPONSEBLE (LIKE ME!!!) NOW I CAN'T BUY FISH BECAUSE I AM ONLY 11, THAT MEANS I HAVE TO DRAG MY DAD ALONG AND THAT ISN'T VERY NICE FOR HIM, MOST OF YOU ARE NOT IN MY POSITION SO YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE!!!!

Perhaps they think its cool that most of the irresponsable kids will have a road block inbetween them and an untimely end to a pet. Every sane person must admit that the percentage of children who know of fish rearing is lower than the percentage of adults because knowledge of fish care is accumulated over time.

More fish die at the hands of children and young 20 somethings than adults and they cant very well limit the autonamy of a young adult.

Opcn

What I don't understand is the animals can always be replaced. In fact we are now trying to stop some animals from breeding. If a child gets a pet and accidently kills it, the child has learned a lesson and the pet has served a purpose. Parents need to be more responsible and get more involved in the child's life. Know where the child is and what it's buying. Then if there's an open return policy the parents can return the pet if they don't approve. Then that makes everyone happy. I've never heard of someone buying a pet just to kill it. That's a waste of good money that kids can use on cigarettes or something. Let the kids buy what they want and learn from any mistakes that they make. How else will they learn not to make them?

Most reactions

Back