Happy Birthday Talltree!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What fish/ shrimp should I get for my 3 gallon tank?

• Betta

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Endlers guppies

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Regular guppies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aussie native Shrimp

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
Ninjouzata said:
Really can't get over those shrimp!
wub.png

Or Athena, what a cutie! I was wondering, and this is probably a stupid question, when she's full grown can she hurt you? Or would it just feel like a pinch?

One of my larger mantis mistook my finger for a grub and leapt at it. It didn't hurt but it did leave a dent. One time one of my older mantids were drinking from my hand and then cotinued to chew through my skin. I didn't want to wack it off For feral injuring it so. I ha to take the pain of a 3 inch insect drinking my blood until I got some paper and scooped it u.

that was my fault though no the mantid's. So to answer your question yes the can cause harm but only through provocation.

I think I'm becoming a shrimp addict.  Watched them dance about for 90 minutes straightno joke !

That does not sound fun at all! You couldn't gently pick it up with your other hand? D:
I think they're really neat and would like to keep one someday but not sure if I'd actually be brave enough to :p
That's great that you're enjoying them! I watched my snail Turbo for like an hour at one point.

I've made a feeding schedule of the shrimp tank.
I will feed 7-8 shrimp granule once ever two days. Algae wafers willbe substituted on special occasions or weekends. :lol:

i fed them this morning so I wil feed again on Sunday with an algae wafer. 

Crikey mates! It's 12:22am on a Saturday morning. I need to get to sleep!
Ninjouzata said:
That does not sound fun at all! You couldn't gently pick it up with your other hand? D:
I think they're really neat and would like to keep one someday but not sure if I'd actually be brave enough to
tongue2.gif

That's great that you're enjoying them! I watched my snail Turbo for like an hour at one point.
One rule remember is NEVER EVER INTERUPT A MANTIS FEEDING!!!
Thats a good way to lose some fingertips xD. 

The really areso sweet most of the time. Great pets! You should get one . :)

Goodnight! :)
Will hopefully get one when we have our own house.

Athena has eaten! :- :- :-

To celebrate I snapped some pics of things. I got some good shots of the chamo shrimp too .

Yay! And that last pic is my favorite :D So cute!

Glad to see that your enjoying your native shrimp
good.gif
 . I love it when I get to see one of my chameleons ( suspect its a male) but he is always a lovely chocolate colour with a vivid tan strip running the length of his back.

Will you get some more natives? Blackmore river shrimp can also be pattern changers. And the holey grail of native shrimp to keep and breed are our very own zebra shrimp. I had them but they didn't like my hot summer, so for now I am playing around with a close relative of theirs Barney Springs Shrimp which are most likely a caridina confuse.

I might get some more varieties of shrimp yeah. They're real fun. I'm almost beginning to like them over my fish. ;)

Your chameleon sounds divine. I have a chocolate one too but not with a stripe. :D

Do you know of any other native shrimp distributors than aquagreen? There is a tiny lil creek not too far from me that I've spotted shrimp at before so that and AquaG is about its
Have you kept Darwin algae shrimp? What were your experiences?

I have some Darwin shrimp right now and have had them I think over 12 months, the females are often berried but I have never seen any young but that could be because the tank also has fish in there. DAS can breed in fresh but I am pretty sure the young need mulm and plenty of micro foods to survive.

Livefish sometimes sells natives but mainly glass shrimp ( and they have the wrong name on them- giving them and the cherry shrimp the same scientific name), I did see they where selling riffle shrimp too, but sold out. They also sell macros, which are generally best avoided, unless you have a semi aggressive tank with fish that can keep away from the macros.

Otherwise the only natives I know of being sold regularly is on a private Aussie Shrimp forum, that is where zebra shrimp, confusa, typhus and sometimes riffles are available along with some lovely fresh water crabs and snails. All of these being sold are from far north Queensland and are not really in the market place. Hopefully soon I will be receiving some dwarf yabbies and I will be able to breed them. They make better tank inhabitants because they are only small getting only 9cm tops.

Just came home to witness a chameleon shrimp laying eggs! It's so beautiful. Pics have been taken and will be uploaded later on. I found my first shrimp exoskeleton too. I thought it was a dead shrimp but was only a molting thank goodness. 

How long are eggs take to hatch?
How big will the baby shrimp be?
about how many will there be?

My praying mantis has molted! She's about double the size now. 
The shrimp are fine and they've molted so I have some bigger ones now.

TT you are so quiet nowadays :)

Ay updated betta tank pics?

Whatever happened to the lie to me game?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back